Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how to split holiday costs fairly

(24 Posts)
MuminMama Wed 27-Jan-16 09:21:43

We're going to have an extended family holiday, including my single brother, my grandparents, my sister with her children, me and my children. We're going to rent a cottage and I don't know how to suggest splitting the cost. If we divide by the total number, including children, it's a bit hard on those with more children (me!). If we divide among adults, it's very hard on those with no kids. How would you do it? Could we maybe call a child half a person?

Wuffleflump Wed 27-Jan-16 09:39:00

Are kids sharing? Would per room work?

MuminMama Wed 27-Jan-16 09:42:13

I suppose that would make sense! Makes it a bit cheaper if you are sharing with two children, as I will be.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 09:42:22

We always do per bed. So if someone needs a bed they pay, say, £100. We then get the biggest property we can afford and more often than not it means the single traveller gets a room.of their own. Any remaining money goes towards a food shop (with adults paying a share and kids paying a half share).

Do your kids need beds or are they travelcot/cot aged?

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 09:43:21

You could do two kids= 1 adult so Bro pay 100, GPs pay 200, you and yours = 200 and sis and hers pay 200

MuminMama Wed 27-Jan-16 09:47:50

All the kids need beds. And an extra complication is that one child will be on a mattress that we take with us - probably one of my two. Which makes it a bit harsh to pay for three whole people. I like the bed idea, and also the 'kids are half a person' idea. Half the battle will be getting everyone to buy into anything I suggest!

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 09:48:54

Have you chosen a cottage yet?

marriednotdead Wed 27-Jan-16 10:12:30

Maybe the compromise would be splitting the accomodation costs by room, and then food etc per head.

MuminMama Wed 27-Jan-16 10:24:47

Yes we've got a cottage. It has two twin rooms and one double, and one person will be on the floor. I think I'll suggest splitting by bed, and food by head.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 10:43:23

Five adults and four kids over six beds?

snowymountaintops Wed 27-Jan-16 10:47:55

We always split by head count and that includes the children, so yes we pay more as we have DC's but my sister doesn't. I think that's completely fair as why should she have to subsidise our DC?

Food we split between everyone too as the DC eat just as much as an adult (if not more sometimes).

snowymountaintops Wed 27-Jan-16 10:49:23

Yes surely that's nothing like enough rooms? Brother will need a room to himself, GP's a room to themselves and that doesn't leave enough for you and your sister plus children?

rosebiggs Wed 27-Jan-16 10:52:26

Children are often charged as half an adult in hotels so that might work. The bed idea is a good one, as cottages seem to be priced by number of bedrooms.

rosebiggs Wed 27-Jan-16 10:53:11

Is the brother going on the floor?

TheWildRumpyPumpus Wed 27-Jan-16 10:57:45

Surely you need at least 4 bedrooms?

Or is the brother going to be lumbered with sleeping on the sofa?

TurnOffTheTv Wed 27-Jan-16 11:00:23

You're missing a room!

PurpleDaisies Wed 27-Jan-16 11:02:16

There was a long discussion on this a couple of weeks ago that might be helpful. Lots of different views.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2552016-What-is-the-fairest-way-to-split-the-cost-of-a-holiday-cottage

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 11:36:35

Id put gps in the double, you and sis in a twin, all the other kids in a twin. Bro on the couch but he doesnt pay (just contributes to food).

Or look for a cottage bug enough for everyone

Ginmakesitallok Wed 27-Jan-16 11:42:06

We've just booked a cottage for us and our 2 kids, my db his gf and their 2 and my mum. We're staying a full week- everyone else just staying 3 nights at the most. Cost of cottage is about £480. How do we split that???

Bloodyex Wed 27-Jan-16 11:43:19

Oh, and we've got one twin, 2 doubles and one with double bunks - plenty of room!

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 27-Jan-16 11:48:20

Gin in your case id ask for a contribution. 50 from your mum, 100 from your db and his family. And split food for the days they are there.

Ginmakesitallok Wed 27-Jan-16 12:32:57

I think what we'll do is just pay for it and ask dm to bring gin, and db to bring crisps and beer...

Akire Wed 27-Jan-16 12:42:03

I would do as your family 35%
Sisters family 35%
Grandparents 20%
Brother 10%

Brother and grandparents paying 10% per adult each.
Families paying 35% so adults 2 at 10% each and kids 2 each is half adult 7%.

Or do it on bedrooms so 5 at 20% each. But would have be fair sizes because as single brother it's not fair if he has tiny single room paying 20% while grandparents have larger room and paying 20% between them.

rosebiggs Wed 27-Jan-16 16:16:54

I agree with pennyhasnosurname. If your brother is on the couch he shouldn't pay for accoodation but he should contribute to food. Everyone else splits it 3 ways, but you and your sister will need to contribute more for food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now