Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

do Working+Child Tax Credit get paid in a lump sum annually?

(14 Posts)
trian Sat 23-Jan-16 18:14:00

just been paid 565 pounds and 82.43 pounds, both under the reference "work and child tc [my name]"

is this all i'm getting for the year?
I'm in full time employment but on mat leave with first child at the mo, income last year was about £16,111
thanks for any advice you can give :-)

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 23-Jan-16 18:15:31

Not usually! Have you just recently claimed?

WheresLarry Sat 23-Jan-16 18:15:33

Could it be that they have just finalised your claim for last year and you were due that amount as an underpayment? Did you get your finalised award letter for last year?

trian Sat 23-Jan-16 18:17:08

"You could get a basic amount of up to £545 a year. This is known as the ‘family element’ " according to gov.uk

is the 565 the child tax credit and the 82.43 working tax credit?

because if that's the case, I should qualify for the sure start maternity grant so i'd need to get my skates on with that!!!!

LizKeen Sat 23-Jan-16 18:30:28

No, they get paid 4 weekly. You will get a letter in the post soon that outlines what you will get and the payment dates.

Child tax credit is more than the family element, there is also an amount for each child and other amounts if there are children with disabilities.

Even on the income of £16k you would get more than that in a year. You won't be eligible for the maternity grant.

LizKeen Sat 23-Jan-16 18:35:17

I should add that it is unlikely that those amounts are what you will receive every 4 weeks, if this is your first child and you are earning that income. It would be too much in your situation. The payments you have received today are probably backdated amounts.

sootica Sat 23-Jan-16 19:41:54

It's probably a large lump sum to cover April 2015 to date if you are eligible this year and you've only just claimed

trian Sat 23-Jan-16 20:48:54

sorry, I posted again before I saw the replies.

this is the first time I've claimed, my first and only (so far!) child was born a couple of months ago.

LizKeen not sure what you mean when you say "child tax credit is more than the family element", everything I've seen so far refers to the family element of child tax credit and this is backed up by gov.uk. I'm interested to know why you think I won't be eligible for the maternity grant?

thanks all for your feedback :-)

Rockchick1984 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:56:18

They backdate the payment for up to 1 month, plus the time it's taken them to process it. The larger payment is about 7 weeks worth (if my brain is functioning!) so will be the backdated payment. The £82 is what you will receive going forward.

trian Sat 23-Jan-16 21:23:21

thanks Rockchick1984, I was not made aware that they only backdate for 1 month???!!!!! My daughter has been here for more than 7wks. I was aware of the deadline on some of the other benefits but I don't think I even thought about it for tax credits, I've had more to contend with than the average first time single mum.....
thanks for your help tho :-). So you think i'll get a total of 82 ctc and wtc per calendar month from now on?

LizKeen Sat 23-Jan-16 22:04:44

Child tax credit is made up of the family element, plus an amount for each child. I am not sure what part of that you don't understand. Child tax credits are more than £545 per year.

If you are disabled then you might be eligible for the maternity grant, but I was under the impression that it is only available for those on a low income. It is a while since I claimed it though, so I may be wrong.

The best thing for you to do is either ring the tax credits helpline and ask them, or use the entitledto calculator to find out answers for your specific circumstances.

LizKeen Sat 23-Jan-16 22:06:34

The 82 wouldn't be what OP is getting going forward. WTC and CTC go in separately so the 82 is probably backdated WTC. On OP's income she wouldn't be getting much WTC anyway.

Saphwoodman Sat 23-Jan-16 22:19:13

I didn't claim till 2 months after son was born and got 2 months backdated even though they said they only back date by a month. It's paid monthly, if it was annually I'm sure there would be some people who would spend all of it on something silly then leave themselves hungry for the rest of the year

trian Sat 23-Jan-16 22:29:44

LizKeen thanks, it's useful to know that they go in separately. If the govt are serious about encouraging breastfeeding they should make all this easier, it's taking away precious time from me trying to increase my milk production!!

thanks for feedback all :-) :-), mumsnet is sooo useful :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now