Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

A letter from HMRC or concentrix part 8

(1000 Posts)
Morgani97 Sat 23-Jan-16 11:58:43

Have you received a letter from HMRC or Concentrix? This is part 8 now. Have you had the dreaded letter demandeing evidence you live alone? Hopefully we can support each other and try and make sense of it all.

Saphwoodman Sat 23-Jan-16 13:40:01

I got one for tax credits saying they had reason to believe I was living as a couple. I was living with parents at the time (who are married) and my sister and her husband was living here too as they just moved down from Wales and needed to save for a deposit, along with my son. I think they must have found out my sisters husband was living here from him registering on the electrol roll or something. Anyway I wrote them a letter and explained the situation and who lived here and my relationship with them, offered to send them marriage certificates etc. They just sent me one back saying the case is closed.

Morgani97 Sat 23-Jan-16 19:12:26

That's good news for you,honestly these people never cease to amaze me wth their accusations.

Thelonewolf Sun 24-Jan-16 09:43:33

I sent off a new claim beginning of January. Seperated from husband in December, everything is still in joint names we are in the middle of seperating finances, putting bills in my name etc and I had the infamous compliance letter asking for a long list of documents to be sent in by the 19th Feb to decide whether or not I should get tax credits. They want all bank statements, childcare invoices, letters /bills relating to my childrens health, letters from child benefit all from a period of 3 months before we separated. I was on maternity leave then didn't have a childcare bill until I went back to work this month.
I am in a catch 22 position. I need to be financially independant from my ex but won't be without tax credits.

Morgani97 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:04:38

The best thing to do Thelonewolf is to send everything that they've asked for and perhaps a covering letter explaining the situation,good luck x

Thelonewolf Sun 24-Jan-16 20:40:52

I'll call the number on the letter and find out exactly what they need. I'm supposed to "fill in an attached list of household income and expenditure" which didn't come with the letter. I have a feeling it's because I only sent off the child benefit form for child #2 the same time as the tax credit form so. And my letter is from B&C compliance operations not HMRC!

Morgani97 Sun 24-Jan-16 21:17:46

Yes call them and see what they say,but as long as you're not living together and you can prove that along with having everything in your name it should be ok.

Thelonewolf Sun 24-Jan-16 21:52:19

That's the problem, nothing is in my sole name as the 3 month period they have asked is before we separated, which we have yet to do legally, solicitors need to be paid etc and I can't don't have the money I'm on a low income. I've only just put water bill in my name, as with elec and gas in past week.
We have yet to close joint account as we are trying to sort out house / life insurance, I can't find any docs relating to them ex always sorted then out and he is not very organised, mortgage is in his name as I had a cat in hells chance of getting one when we remortgaged. He only transferred his bank account / credit card / mobile bill over to his mums (as he is moving there) last week.

Morgani97 Sun 24-Jan-16 22:22:35

Give them a call and explain the situation,do you have proof that he lives at a different address to you? If so send that to them,also your water bill and anything else you have in your name regardless of the dates they're asking for,they know that legal separations/divorce takes time. I know it seems like a right hard slog but will be worth it in the end x

Thelonewolf Mon 25-Jan-16 09:45:20

Funny thing is I called them last week for an update, was told everything was fine, person I spoke to said that they would backdate 31days for me then I had the compliance checks letter on Saturday.

Morgani97 Mon 25-Jan-16 14:27:37

If I were you I'd call them back again if you haven't already,am I right in thinking you've had letters from concentrix and the compliance team x

Thelonewolf Mon 25-Jan-16 14:37:58

No just HMRC compliance team, this is the first time Ive put a claim in. Called my "case worker" who wasn't interested in speaking to me just said to put in a covering letter along with all the docs. I was hoping to get it sorted over the phone.

Morgani97 Wed 27-Jan-16 11:43:07

I'd just put the covering letter in and explain the circumstances also when you send it try and send recorded delivery,that way you can track it and also get a signiture when it's received x

megsmaw06 Wed 27-Jan-16 23:37:25

Hello everyone. I got the letter back in december (they had put it in the christmas post on the 14th and I got it on the 23rd!). They said my partner is living with me. He lives with his mum and pays none of my bills and is not on my tenancy agreement. His name is only on the phone bill because it was set up years ago when I had very bad anxiety and panic attacks triggered by using the phone (in the days when you had to phone up the company to get them out to install your phone).
I pay the phone bill myself.

So, I sent my info in at the start of the month and yesterday I got a call back from concentrix. I was told by the concentrix agent to phone Tax credits on friday to get a joint claim form. Surely that's not right? How would that work with my housing benefit? He doesn't live here, pay rent or bills or have his name on the tenancy agreement.

I am really confused and in a flap. It's the last thing I need to worry about after recently been diagnosed with pelvic radiation disease as a result of my cancer treatment in 2014. sad

ddigital Thu 28-Jan-16 14:14:46

Hey Everyone, let the great fishing expedition begin again, had a letter with a form this morning from HMRC in Preston saying they tried to call me (nope!) asking for details of my Self Employment from October till Now. (Concentrix last year wanted the entire tax year from April 2014 to 2015 back at the end of May and I think it was September by the time it was all sorted out and I was given the all clear)

I've now got to compile my accounts for the last tax year to present to work out my income and estimated final income for April 2016 as well as my bank account statements yet again.

If you get a letter they give you a month to get information they ask for back to them or you will be fined up to £300.

McPie Fri 29-Jan-16 19:11:05

We got a letter on Tuesday and they wanted Dh's payslips showing his hours worked and rate of pay and his contract. I had to phone them as it had that they wanted the information "from 6th of April 2015 to". I was annoyed that their letter omitted a crucial piece of information but the woman I spoke to was nice, it was 8am when I phoned so was probably the 1st person she had to deal with that day.
I spent the day hunting for payslips and as he gets paid weekly there was quite a few of them, I couldn't find them all (missing 7) but sent bank statements to cover missing ones. I posted it on Wednesday and it cost me £7.25!!!
We have nothing to hide and I will be beyond annoyed if anything comes from this as when Dh started this job after 13 months unemployed I phoned the day he got the job to find out what we needed to do and was advised to phone the day he started work with his hours, rate of pay and companies head office address which I did.
I was told that we could be selected for up to 4 compliance checks each year so I bloody well hope they don't lose anything and I hope that the person who has to go through his payslips has fun as they fall apart if you so much as touch them grin

Morgani97 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:13:18

megs you don't have to make a joint claim because you're not part of a couple,did they ask you for tenancy agreement,bills etc in your name? If not then get them all together and send them off. How can they tell you to make a joint claim when you're single is just plain stupid x

Morgani97 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:14:52

N pie did you send everything recorded delivery x

Morgani97 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:15:16

Mcpie I mean x

Morgani97 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:16:52

Lonewolf how did you get on with your call x

McPie Fri 29-Jan-16 19:46:27

Yup, just checked Royal Mail and it was signed for yesterday morning at 7.08.
When I was on the phone on Tuesday I had sweat running down my arms and normally it takes 27kg squat weight in Body Pump for that to happen!
I don't do stressful situations well so I am quite proud that I got everything together quickly without resorting to downing bags of Haribo's grin.

megsmaw06 Fri 29-Jan-16 20:28:28

Yes, they asked for all my utility bills, bank statements and tenancy agreement, everything is in my name only, except the phone as I explained above. I spent a small fortune buying a new ink cartridge so I could print them off as all of my stuff is online only, plus I sent it in recorded (more money I can't really spare!).

I had a good google and everything seems to back up what I already knew and what you said Morgani - No joint claim if we don't live together. I don't know if I should still call HMRC, I didn't have time today and my tax credits went in as normal on thursday.

BlueJug Sat 30-Jan-16 00:27:53

I had one. Arrived with the Christmas post and as I'd had a "don't worry, just checking" call I put it aside. Was horrified when I opened it and saw what they wanted. And that the deadline was the next day. I phoned and they gave me an extension because of Christmas post - thank goodness.

It took two solid days work late into the night. It cost a pack of paper and a cartridge and over £10 to send. Copies of e-mails going back years, copies of sales pitches, client contracts invoices, bank statements, samples of work....

I phoned to see when I could expect to hear and thy said a month. So it is wait and see. Horrible.

Morgani97 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:37:09

Just a thought but there's a site called tax credit casualties it's got loads of info on there re single and joint claims. The upshot is if you're single and being accused of having another adult living with you the best bet is to send it everything they ask for ie utility bills,rent agreement etc then play the waiting game. I can't stress enough how important it is to send everything recorded delivery that way you have a record and you can also track what you've sent. Also if you ring then get the name if the person you're talking to good luck everyone x

megsmaw06 Sat 30-Jan-16 22:59:49

I've decided to not phone HMRC and instead plan to wait on them sending out a letter with their decision. Concentrix don't have the power to close my claim, so the HMRC can contact me themselves if they think my claim is wrong. I know I'm in the right and have bucket loads of evidence behind me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.