Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

World Stores won't collect damaged crockery set

(7 Posts)
consumerconundrum Thu 21-Jan-16 19:02:15

As per the title really. I bought a dinner service from World Stores which is damaged so I want to return it for a refund. World Stores say I need to send it back to them and that they won't arrange a courier to collect it as it isn't their policy.

However, it weighs nearly 20kgs, is obviously fragile and I cannot physically pick up the box. I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old so even if I could get the box to the post office I'm not sure how I would with the kids in tow regardless. I could book a courier online but I would have to go to the library or somewhere to print the label and pay our for the courier, send them proof of cost and wait for the refund of both the crockery set and the cost of returning it.

I have explained this on email and asked if they can arrange the courier since the goods are faulty rather than me just changing my mind but they have flatly refused and said it is my responsibility to return the items.

Any Sale of Goods experts around? What are my rights?

Thanks.

consumerconundrum Thu 21-Jan-16 19:15:06

Their latest reply says the value is too low to arrange collection but as they will need to refund me the cost of returning it anyway surely they have a courier firm they use who would be cheaper than I would pay as a one off??

consumerconundrum Thu 21-Jan-16 20:34:50

Bumping for evening crowd.

Choughed Thu 21-Jan-16 22:08:42

There's really no way you can get to a post office? 20kg isn't that heavy, you could use a pram to wheel it.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 21-Jan-16 23:08:21

Oh come on! You could get this sorted, you just sound like you can't be bothered!

The onus is on you to return

Saphwoodman Fri 22-Jan-16 23:12:08

They aren't complied to arrange a courier, if they did it would be nothing more than a goodwill gesture. They will have to pay return postage, I would suggest emailing them saying you can't afford the return postage, they will probably then send you a prepaid postage label. Then you could easily ask some one to take it for you as postage would already be covered, you would just need to take it to the post office if it didn't fit in a post box.

Rockchick1984 Fri 22-Jan-16 23:40:36

Price up a courier service, and then contact the company to ask would they consider simply refunding you / replacing without you returning it if the item isn't particularly expensive. For example, if the item cost £30 and a courier would be £15 then they may simply send a new item rather than deal with the return.

Alternatively could you just return the damaged pieces, and they can replace those? Rather than returning the full amount, it would keep the weight down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now