Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I heard from Tax credits?

(5 Posts)
sportinguista Mon 18-Jan-16 14:11:43

I am self employed, I became so at the beginning of last year and contacted HMRC to register, all good, I am about to file first tax return but will come to only enough to pay schedule 2 NI this year. Around June I received a reminder to renew tax credits online. Previous year had been employed and so over limit to get them but now with just DH's wage and my small income from self employment I thought we may get something. So I filled in the online form as a self employed person with an estimated income and pressed submit etc, site said thank you etc.

So now it's January and I've heard nothing, not even a you get nothing notice that they usually send. Does it work differently with self employed people? Are they waiting for my tax return or do you get nothing because you're self employed? We've been managing without but even a small amount would come in handy if we are entitled and I thought at least we'd get a reply. Is this usual, should I bother? We don't claim anything else.

MirandaWest Mon 18-Jan-16 14:16:06

Have you checked an online tax credits calculator to see whether you think you would be entitled to anything?

I would get in touch with tax credits again to find out what the progress has been.

sportinguista Mon 18-Jan-16 15:20:06

According to online calculator, based on income yes we should, but I was puzzled as heard nothing and could only the self employement bit might make a difference.

I wanted to find out if it might before I try and ring because I'm aware it may take a very long time for them to answer!

MirandaWest Mon 18-Jan-16 15:34:01

I got tax credits when I was self employed and it didn't seem to make any difference to how long it took - was a few weeks I think. I would definitely get in touch with them .

sportinguista Tue 19-Jan-16 14:44:41

Thanks Miranda, I will get in touch with them and try and find out what happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now