Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ross and Roberts Bailiffs coming to my house! Help!

(9 Posts)
JoannaB92 Thu 14-Jan-16 17:57:23

Hi I'm a single mother living on my own with my LO. I have just come home to find a hand delivered letter from Ross and Roberts enforcement notice. The amount outstanding is for £1219.29 which is I paid council tax from my last property.i went through a very messed break up with my EX and feel behind on bills etc. I really cannot afford to pay this and there is no one that can lend me the money. I haven't called them as I have been told by somebody not to call them or they will hound you. I really don't know what to do I'm on the edge of a nervous breakdown sad is there anything I can do to stop them coming to my house? I'm scared they will come when I'm home I know not to let them in but the thought of it terrifies me!!

Is there any way I can set up a payment arrangement with them?

Thanks

JoannaB92 Thu 14-Jan-16 17:59:01

Sorry about the typos I'm shaking like a leaf right now

RebootYourEngine Thu 14-Jan-16 17:59:57

You need to pay the council tax. I would phone them and arrange a payment plan. If you ignore it the debt will grow.

LIZS Thu 14-Jan-16 18:01:29

Presumably it has already been to court and they have an order against you? Did you ignore previous correspondence? You could call the court and see if you can make an offer to pay.

LIZS Thu 14-Jan-16 18:01:35

Presumably it has already been to court and they have an order against you? Did you ignore previous correspondence? You could call the court and see if you can still make an offer to pay.

19lottie82 Thu 14-Jan-16 18:04:00

OK calm down. Call them and arrange a payment plan, they definitely will prefer this than taking your stuff! Don't be forced into agreeing to an manageable amount tho. If you fall behind on payments then you'll be back to square one. Tell them an amount you can afford to pay and don't be talked into agreeing on anymore.

For the bailiffs to be involved there would have been a court date regarding the debt. Did you get any letters about this?

As I said call them tomorrow first thing and arrange a payment plan.

However if they do come to your house you don't have to let them in. Just keep the doors and windows locked. DO NOT invite them in!

JoannaB92 Thu 14-Jan-16 19:29:28

Thanks for the advice. The letters must of gone to my old address I've had nothing. Okay I will call them tomorrow to arrange a payment plan. I've heard that they are hard to arrange payment plans and only want the money in full? I've been scouring the Internet and noticed people haven't had any chance of a payment plan confused

19lottie82 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:25:03

It's less hassle for them to take a payment plan, than to take your stuff and have to sell it for a fraction of what it's worth. Try and pay as much as you can afford, but again, don't agree to more than you can't!

PingPongBat Thu 14-Jan-16 22:29:27

I would call definitely them to try and get the to agree an affordable payment plan. They aren't going to go away if you ignore them and the cost will rise if you do. If they refuse your offer, go to your local CAB and ask them for further advice and help with the negotiations.

If you have a car, try to get it parked on private land (car park, driveway) as they can only clamp and remove cars from the public highway.

If you are receiving certain benefits and can't afford to pay what they demand, you can ask the council to recall the bailiffs and deduct a small amount from your benefit each week, which can be as little as £3.70.

Good luck, don't be afraid of them, they may be loud and insistent, but if you can't afford to pay what they demand, close the door / put down the phone and go to see your CAB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now