Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

folding under MN peer pressure, I've signed up to YNAB. What's your top tip?!

(8 Posts)
Reiltin Sun 10-Jan-16 21:24:34

I'm reading through all the blurb - it's more complex than I'd realised! Any tips or hints for me?

In particular, I want my wife and I to be able to use the same account. Is that easy enough?

TIA smile

Quinoa20 Tue 12-Jan-16 16:45:17

What's YNAB?

Mookbark Tue 12-Jan-16 16:50:45

Yes, you can both use the same account. If you have an iphone/ android phones, they can both connect.
My advice would be to try and reconcile your accounts at least 3x per week. I try and do it daily. If I leave it for a week or so, it takes too long and I get discouraged. It's great that you are both on board. My main problem is that DH won't add his purchases into the app, so I have to keep chasing him for receipts.
It does work and I notice an increase in our savings when I use it, but it does take a bit of effort.
Good luck.

Mookbark Tue 12-Jan-16 16:52:43

Quinoa it's a budgeting program with linked apps. It has recently become web based with a monthly subscription, which has put some people off, but which works better for me.

Reiltin Tue 12-Jan-16 18:24:01

Thanks for that. I'm a little thrown by the amount of work required for the set up. Toddler + 4mo = very little head-space!

Mookbark Tue 12-Jan-16 20:08:34

Once it's set up, it's not too bad. Just make sure you keep on top of it.
The first month, you'll have to input all your DDs, but you can set them to recurring and then just click the cleared button once they come out of the account.
Mind you, my youngest is 7, so I've forgotten that first few months befuddlement. grin

Quinoa20 Tue 12-Jan-16 23:45:06

Thanks for the info smile

DaffodilsandTruffles Tue 12-Jan-16 23:49:05

I've also just signed up having been mulling it over for a while.

My DH is away this for the next week with work so I'm going to use the time to get everything set up so we can go through it together when he gets back.

We have a decent joint income but don't save anywhere near as much as I'd like so I'm keen to use YNAB to track our saving goals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now