Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits, partner moving in

(6 Posts)
SuperAmoo Sat 19-Dec-15 00:43:10

Hi all, I've been claiming tax credits (working and child) as a single person but I am going to be moving in with someone in Jan. I won't be eligible for any tax credits when that happens so I am worried that, because tax credits are worked out by tax year, they will look at my new much bigger joint income from Jan onwards and make me pay back everything I've received since April. Is this correct does anyone know? I can't afford to do that so I was wondering if I should wait till the end of the tax year either to a) move in together or, worse b) lie and say we only moved in together in April......

AndNowItsSeven Sat 19-Dec-15 00:46:25

No they won't make you pay anything back that doesn't make sense. Say you were awarded 6000 a year April to April. You have had your entitlement of £4000 April to December. You have not been overpaid.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 19-Dec-15 00:47:50

Sorry £4500 not £4000.

Seeyounearertime Sat 19-Dec-15 00:49:34

I know it barely needs saying but don't lie, not even for a month.
Play their game, give them all the info they ask for etc and you should be fine.

SuperAmoo Sat 19-Dec-15 00:50:29

Phew thank you. I was worried because I'm sure I remember that about 7 yrs ago when my ex's income went up slightly halfway through a year, we had to pay back hundreds of pounds backdated to the beginning of the tax year, rather than from the date his income went up. But maybe I'm remembering it wrong....

SuperAmoo Sat 19-Dec-15 00:52:23

And it probably doesn't need saying either but I would hate to lie, nothing worse than lying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now