Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much should I spend on groceries?

(19 Posts)
brrrrrrrrrrr Sat 05-Dec-15 12:35:01

Family of four with combined income of about 50K before tax. Are you in a similar bracket if so I am wondering how much you spend on groceries?

Note: I am not looking for budget advice just feedback in terms of pounds and pence if you have a minute.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

annielostit Sat 05-Dec-15 17:57:59

It depends on what you eat.
I spend £80 ish a week. Eat meat or fish every day. Oh takes lunch to work. (Family of 3 grownups).
I shop in m&s, local butcher, lidl for basics, butter etc. We have Heinz beans & sauce as oh doesn't like lower brand. I buy what's on offer for powder & dishwasher stuff.
I have a fridge seek to use up every 3 weeks.

williaminajetfighter Sat 05-Dec-15 18:18:58

About £110 per week. But items on sale but always get enticed by lovely things on Ocado.

lljkk Sat 05-Dec-15 18:47:02

Similar income, 2 more children, probably about £100/wk. Suggests you might manage on £70/wk (just food, not other grocery bits)

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 05-Dec-15 18:59:58

Partly depends how old the children are and what's included (eg lunches, nappies, cleaning products, toiletries, wine?)

There are 5 of us, dcs eat about the same as 2 adults. I spend about £100 a week inc most toiletries and cleaning products, and some booze. I reckon I could cut that down a fair bit and I don't have an Aldi or Lidl nearby.

LittleMissStubborn Sun 06-Dec-15 07:12:01

We have a smaller income and spend around £75 a week, that is 2 adults and 3 children. But a lot of what we have is non branded, plus I shop around. £100 a week is probably more realistic.

Pointlessfan Sun 06-Dec-15 07:14:34

How old are your dc? We spend about £50 for 2 adults, toddler and cat food. That includes things like nappies, washing powder etc. I am veggie though and DH only cooks meat about once a week or less so that helps to keep the cost down.

Mydearchild Sun 06-Dec-15 17:21:24

We earn a little more but I try and limit my food shopping budget. It averages out to around £50 for two adults two children. I do the basics in Aldi then meat from our local butcher & branded items in the big supermarket. I meal plan meticulously & have cupboards that are empty by the end of the week rather than brimming with stuff we never eat. I've saved a fortune.

BackforGood Sun 06-Dec-15 17:37:12

About £40 on my weekly supermarket run, since ds left for University (so 2 adults and 2 teens left) - goes up when he's home.

You have to account for:
Does this include all food - or are school (or work) dinners sep.
Are you paying for nappies
Do you have pets
Does this include alcohol
Do you then 'top up' you weekly shop
Does this include things like toiletries / toothbrushes / toilet paper / cleaning products or do you get them elsewhere
How many nights do you not cook (round at Grandma's every Sunday, or Friday night takeaway)
Are you meat eaters

NotCitrus Sun 06-Dec-15 17:47:13

Probably about £110 a week, but could cut down to £80 reasonably easily and will be doing so again soon. Includes 2.5 kids under 10, regular guests, and all non-food items - usually about £30 in Lidl, £50 in Sainsburys and £30 lunches, fortnightly takeaway etc. I have to use a number of pre-prepared items which adds cost, but when I stop work next month I will have more time and ability to shop around and cook more.

I often cook using meat as a condiment rather than large pieces of meat, and often get a huge chicken from local farmer which lasts ages. We drink very little and don't have pets atm, but spend too much on juice.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 07-Dec-15 07:23:15

A real how long is a piece of string question.

It is perfectly possible to feed a family on £50 ish per week if you are prepared to shop around, cook from scratch, buy what is on offer/in season rather than sticking to favoured brands, eat less meat and fish, moderate alcohol and treats/ready meals, use up leftovers etc.

You could also eat absolute rubbish (farm foods value pizza and chips etc) for a similar amount.

Similarly there are people who will argue to the death that it is simply not possible to feed a family of 4 for less than £200/300 pw, but for that they will be shopping in Waitrose, lots of prime meat/fish, imported fresh berries and out of seasonal vegetables, naice ready meals and nibbly bits (olives, anti pasti etc), lots of branded cleaning products, more alcohol, etc etc.

Depends how much time you have, what sort of food you like, what priority you put on different types of meals, how much you waste, what shops you have access to, all sorts of things. But to answer your question, somewhere between £50 and £300+ pw is reasonable depending on your circumstances. At your income level, unless you have a huge mortgage and/or debts, I would imagine that you are at the level where you have some but not loads of disposable income and saving, say £50 pw on groceries could make the difference between being able to afford a holiday or other treats/luxuries - spend loads on food - little money available for other things or spend a bit less, but still enough on food, have money available for holidays, treats or luxuries.

If you were on a debt management plan, there are guidelines as to what is appropriate to provide an adequate, sustainable but not luxurious amount of groceries and I think this is about £120 pw for a family of 4.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 07-Dec-15 07:26:27

Just saw NotCitrus mentioned juice - that's another thing that some people spend a lot on that's not strictly necessary. If there is unlimited access to juice and pop, this can cost a fair bit that can be saved if necessary.

NickyEds Mon 07-Dec-15 16:21:33

We spent £570 last month- slightly lower income (45K) and two adults, ds (almost 2) and dd but she's only 5 months and has 1 tin of formula a month. We have people over quite a lot and that covers all cleaning stuff, most toiletries and nappies.

imip Tue 08-Dec-15 18:09:27

Definitely cutting juice from our shop and making sure we have two meatless meals a week has helped us cut our shopping bill.

This week I spent just under £140 at ocado. 2 adults, 4 dcs. Inc. £10 goods for food bank drive at dc school and alcohol. This was an expensive week. All but one dc have packed lunch and dh and I are currently home for all meals ATM.

I usually aim for £110, however, having dh around means the food bill has risen considerably. Strangely, while dh can be tight financially conservative, this doesn't extend to food hmm

ivykaty44 Tue 08-Dec-15 18:13:38

We get through between £250-300 per month. We don't eat a great deal of meat though, maybe 4-6 times a month or when we eat out. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. There are four of us and all adult. Two to three pack-up two to three times a week.

DD works in a bakers and I also make my own machine bread, we keep one in the freezer sliced and use wraps a lot for lunch pack - ups or use leftovers for lunch the next day.

Passthecake30 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:31:51

About £400-£450 per month at the moment, includes convenience food for busy nights. I could cut it down but we are time poor....

pinklaydee Wed 09-Dec-15 10:20:57

Between £70 and £85 a week, which includes topping up fruit, milk and bread. I cut it down by writing a list of meals and ingredients, and getting it delivered to the house. I'd always advise checking the salt and sugar content in non brands - was buying Lidl's bran flakes and oatcakes, but was shocked to find that they were much higher in salt and sugar than other supermarket brands.
Have you watched that BBC show in which the chef works with families to cut down their shopping bills? Can't believe how much they spend on food before and after their makeovers!

LegoLady95 Thu 10-Dec-15 22:37:04

3 children here (8, 7 and 3, no nappies). Combined income approx £53k. We spend £100-120 per week including wine/beer and toiletries.

lovelyupnorth Fri 11-Dec-15 16:03:05

slightly higher income spend between 60-80 per week - use local butcher/green grocers then a mixture of aldi/tesco/booths or whatever.

always meal plan, waste little

milk is seperate as milk man deliveries

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now