Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal Credit Transitional Protection Confusion

(23 Posts)
unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 11:51:10

Can some offer me some clarity about 'Transitional Protection'? I stand to lose all my working tax credits and child tax credits when Universal Credit is rolled out to reach me. Which is worrying.

I've been reading up on Transitional Protection and I understand (although could well have this wrong) they will honour what I currently receive, until 'circumstances change'.....what does this mean please? How long does the transitional protection carry on for? I receive spousal maintenance and this is what will cause the change.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 27-Nov-15 12:01:49

Transitional Protection only applies to people who are on a managed migration - that means the government move you over. If you are moved because your circumstances change, and therefore they reassess you, you aren't entitled to transitional protection.

If you are entitled, Transitional Protection will pay the difference between what you get now and your new Universal Credit amount. You receive it until your Universal Credit award matches your old award, your Universal Credit award reduces to nothing, or you have a change in circumstances. A change in circumstances is the same as it is now, anything that would cause a reassessment - a partner leaving/joining your household, an income change, you stop working, your earnings drop below the level expected of you for more three months in a row.

Does that help at all?

Your last sentence is the one that confused me. If you aren't expecting a change of circumstances, it'll be a while before managed migrations really get going. If your spousal maintenance means you are being reassessed and you'll be put on UC, you won't be entitled to transitional protection.

Ok99 Fri 27-Nov-15 12:10:18

How can you find out when your'll be automatically moved over to universal credit?

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:19:16

Thanks Anchor thats helped (I think). I'm not expecting any change of circumstances, and the spousal maintenance isn't a new change of circumstances, it just wasn't taken into account when I first applied for tax credits, does that still mean I wouldn't be entitled to TP?

received this from the ex this morning:
As you are probably aware, UC is reduced by £1 for each £1 of spousal maintenance. Child maintenance does not reduce UC. Therefore if you have to apply for UC it would make sense to continue the same payments but as child maintenance. I am struggling to pay maintenance as it is and am not in a position to pay a anything more. In fact I have been considering applying to the court to reduce payments . If I am asked to pay more, I'm afraid I will have to refuse and go to court to request a lower payment than is currently paid. If you would like to discuss this further please call me.

Not sure how he's claiming poverty given that the settlement ensured we came out with similar monthly incomes, only I have a huge mortgage and the 2DC's to keep. My solicitor wrote in a clause into the agreement that we should meet in the middle with any loss in TCs and WTC's due to UC (so he would need to pay half of anything I lose)

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 12:21:37

Ok99.
You can't find out. It's a rolling program. But everyone will be migrated by end 2017
I'm very scared about what will happen.

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:23:28

similar monthly incomes when my WTC, TC, Child and Spousal maintenance and my income from self employment are all added together they are a similar amount to his income after he pays his maintenance to me.

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 12:27:16

Unicorn.
Do you know what will happen if/when my ESA gets reassessed? I don't actually have a date in the award letter so assuming at some point I'll just get a letter?
Is my current benefit protected? ( I get ESA support group +pip)

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:32:10

I'm sorry Luxy I have no idea. I too haven't received any indication by letter of when this will be rolled out to me, I understand most will change over to UC by end 2017, but still 700,000 will be still under tax credit system even by then. Its so confusing (and incredibly worrying)

5madthings Fri 27-Nov-15 12:32:15

They said the other day not everyone will be moved over until 2019 as it's not goung smoothly... You xan check with your postcode when you should be moved over.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 27-Nov-15 12:37:15

If there's no change of circumstances, I wouldn't worry yet - there's a 4 year roll-out program, and if you're moved over on that, you are entitled to the transitional protection so you'd get exactly the same amount, just all paid together and named Universal Credit.

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:43:59

Phew! Thanks Anchor thats a huge relief!

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:44:29

5mad do you know where I can do the postcode check?

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 12:45:10

You know. I'm actually terrified

If I lose even £10 a week. I can't do it. I'll be in hospital. I need the money I have for carers.
The Autumn budget really really started me worrying and I haven't been able to find anything that reassures me.

Im so close to giving up anyway.

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 12:46:30

Cross post.
Anchor. I hope you are right. Really I do. Thank you

unicornspooprainbows Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:05

Luxy flowers Don't worry for now, if you haven't heard anything from them in writing I'm sure it will be a long way off. If and when it happens it looks like you'll be protected from any loss anyway.

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 12:51:28

Thank you unicorn.

RandomMess Fri 27-Nov-15 13:02:50

Presumably spousal maintenance doesn't affect WTC so it won't affect you being protected by the TA?

TheWrathofNaan Fri 27-Nov-15 13:06:06

Lucy

Are you sure everyone will be moved by 2017 since they are already behind with rolling out universal credit?

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 13:13:37

I'm not sure of anything. Everywhere I've looked states tc will be migrated to UC by end 2017.

You know, I'd the government actually told people what was happening, when, and how it was going to affect them, then people could actually stop worrying about the Unknown

The very fact that it's not clear and transparent, makes me worry. If every bring is ok, and they aren't going to pull the rug from under me ( and others) then why aren't they making that crystal clear.

Luxyelectro Fri 27-Nov-15 13:15:57

There is one good things about all the delays though
If they keep delaying, then it's getting perilously close to 2020 and the next GE, and vicious cuts to disabled people won't go down well

TheWrathofNaan Fri 27-Nov-15 21:48:14

Thank you Luxy -your name auto corrected earlier!

AndNowItsSeven Sat 28-Nov-15 22:26:53

They are saying 2020 to complete UC rollout.

unicornspooprainbows Sun 29-Nov-15 16:47:03

Andnow - that is great news. Just in time for GE!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now