Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage help! Does survey make a difference?

(6 Posts)
PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 17:03:47

I do have a home but got the mortgage donkeys years ago so forgot the process and brokers are being crap!!

So we found a house, put an offer in, got agreement in principle etc. However DH carried on his phone contract and this has gone on his credit file as a new account, despite them saying it wouldn't and no one will amend it angry

I'm so nervous. The survey is getting done tomorrow on our new house, does this mean we have it in the bag or do they carry out more checks after the survey before giving us the mortgage offer? I think I've aged ten years in 4 weeks!

NewLife4Me Mon 09-Nov-15 17:09:11

We had to go back again to sign after having the mortgage in principle.
Unfortunately, everything was listed that we told them and we had to declare any changes to the list.

If it doesn't show as extra money coming out you may just be able to say its the same contract.
Otherwise get in touch with company and complain.
I don't think it wil make any difference to your mortgage offer, just explain.

Gracey79 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:18:37

Have you done an application? Payslips bank statements etc? I wouldn't have thought they would waste time and money on a survey of you hadn't passed the application in which case there shouldn't be any more checks.

PiperChapstick Mon 09-Nov-15 19:21:21

Yes we've done application, agreement in principle sorted etc

Gracey79 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:25:24

I would think you will be fine, as I say most lenders wouldn't do a survey if there were any more checks to be done. Good luck with the house

jevoudrais Tue 10-Nov-15 09:49:06

Actually, some lenders do the survey before they do very much of the underwriting at all. The ones who do most of the checks and underwriting first are less common. Just like even if you have an offer, they can do a final credit check the day before exchange if they feel like it.

This is why brokers tend to advise no additional credit whatsoever from what you declare on the initial application. If your offer comes through fine, I would just ensure you don't go and put money on CCs or take any additional credit out because you aren't home and dry until you have completed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now