Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does dp's exw get any of his pension?

(8 Posts)
Benzalkonium Sat 31-Oct-15 23:02:27

Hi, can anyone help me understand this?
People mention ex getting half pension on divorce threads.

How does this work, is it something that gets decided when assets are divided?
If both parties were working, would one have any call on the others pension?

Thanks if you can help me understand this!

VimFuego101 Sat 31-Oct-15 23:03:56

Is the divorce already finalized?

FishWithABicycle Sat 31-Oct-15 23:15:33

The "assets of the marriage" are assessed including current level of equity in property and any pension fund built up as at the date divorce proceedings started. That total value gets split - usually 50:50. In some cases the split might be agreed that one person gets the home equity and the other gets the pension pot. Depends on the value of each and how the negotiations go.

FishWithABicycle Sat 31-Oct-15 23:18:40

Sorry was intending to add : any value of home equity or pension pot which acrues after the divorce doesn't usually get split in the same way. The 50:50 thing is a bit of an oversimplification - ratios can vary wildly.

Fiddlerontheroof Sat 31-Oct-15 23:25:41

It depends what was agreed in the divorce. In mine, I agreed not to touch his pension in return for taking the equity in the house x

Benzalkonium Sun 01-Nov-15 12:01:16

Ok, I was just wondering if it could be claimed retrospectively. He was divorced several years ago (10ish)

Thank you for the input.

Fiddlerontheroof Sun 01-Nov-15 15:31:26

Not if its all done and dusted. as far as I know if the divorce is final, you can't go back and claim...unless I'm guessing if you had evidence someone lied or falsified financial information at the time....I'm no expert, but I imagine that would be the case.

ImperialBlether Sun 01-Nov-15 16:48:16

Usually one person will give up rights to the other person's pension and will get a bigger share of the house as recompense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now