Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How am I not entitled to Tax Credits?!

(86 Posts)
WitteryTwittery Fri 02-Oct-15 11:29:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babyroobs Fri 02-Oct-15 14:59:37

I think on that income you should be getting some help with childcare costs or do either of your employers participate in the chilcare voucher scheme - that may save you more. The tax credits thresholds are not falling until April 2016, so if your circumstances haven't changed from last year then it may be a mistake on their part .

CookieMonsterIsOnADiet Fri 02-Oct-15 17:14:41

On a joint salary of £30k with one child you earn too much for help.

With two, you may get a little towards child care but the thresholds go down in April.

Being self employed means they will scrutinise his business to make sure it's viable after expenses.

19lottie82 Fri 02-Oct-15 17:20:03

No offence, but in London, £18k is a pretty crappy wage. If this is all your DH can make SE then surely it would make sense for him to consider looking for a job that it's more?

Iamnotloobrushphobic Fri 02-Oct-15 17:21:09

At 30k with one child I think you are over the threshold for tax credits. You might be entitled to something when you have dc2 especially as your childcare costs may rise significantly but the thresholds and withdrawal rates change from April next year so you still might not be entitled to much (although being on smp might mean you temporarily get some tax credits).

HitsAndMrs Fri 02-Oct-15 17:22:34

It's not really as easy as looking for a job on a higher wage lottie.
We get help on a salary of £23000 so I'm sure you should be entitled to something, possibly when your next baby is born.

Iamnotloobrushphobic Fri 02-Oct-15 17:23:57

These tables might help:
www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare

But do bear in mind that most people will face huge tax credit cuts from April next year.

MissMarpleCat Fri 02-Oct-15 17:26:46

The threshold for tax credits is being drastically cut next April, so I don't think you'll be entitled to anything once dc2 is born. lots of working families are going to find it very difficult sad

DingbatsFur Fri 02-Oct-15 17:27:17

Try the entitled to calculator
www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/

bloodyteenagers Fri 02-Oct-15 17:30:01

Try and see if you can get help from housing benefit. They disregard a certain amount of childcare.
It wouldn't be a lot, if anything but it
All helps.

HamaTime Fri 02-Oct-15 17:34:34

I think working tax credits are disappearing in April, not officially scrapped but the threshold adjusted so you can't work 16 hours on mw and qualify for it

expatinscotland Fri 02-Oct-15 17:38:03

Wait until the shit really hits the fan next April.

Shutthatdoor Fri 02-Oct-15 17:38:17

We get help on a salary of £23000

That is £7k less than the OP though.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 02-Oct-15 17:42:39

30k is a decent household income especially as it's joint so less tax. The problem is your rent. Why are you living in London when you can't afford to. 18k is not a London salary .

Babyroobs Fri 02-Oct-15 17:42:40

I really feel for families on lowish incomes with a couple of small children needing childcare, it is going to become virtually impossible to both work unless the government keep their promise of 30 hours free childcare for 3 &4 year olds. I guess many couples just work around each other or have family help with childcare.

DaddyPigIsMyParentingGuru Fri 02-Oct-15 17:57:34

But want if you can't work around each other or have help with childcare?
It's such a tough situation.

MissMarpleCat Fri 02-Oct-15 18:00:08

It will be especially tough for lone parents sad

Babyroobs Fri 02-Oct-15 18:05:55

I guess it depends on the lone parents situation. Most lone parents I know get decent amounts of maintainence from their ex's and have a lot of family support allowing them to work and their ex's have the kids at weekends allowing them to work extra hours at weekend and are generally very supportive. Obviously there are also a huge number of lone parents who get no financial support as well and this group will be hit the hardest.

passmethewineplease Fri 02-Oct-15 18:12:35

I'd say 30k with one child is actually not bad.

Your huge rent is the problem. Is there any chance of relocating? You could get a big four bed house round here for that much. Crazy.

Can anybody say how much the average couple will be worse off Coke next April when the withdrawal rate amount lowers?

LittleMissStubborn Fri 02-Oct-15 19:05:10

I think I'm going to be about 25% worse off. Average drops are said to be around 1-1.5k.

Anyway Op the threshold for one child is 26k at present, but will drop come April as the disregard lowers and the taper changes. They have put it in a way that means a lit of people aren't aware that it will or how it will effect them.

Currently with 2 children you would get help, but may not come April. I found the spectalive calculators gave me wildly differing answers.

EldonAve Fri 02-Oct-15 19:10:56

Are you going to return to work after child 2?

whiteagle Fri 02-Oct-15 19:14:12

I would seriously consider leaving London. As others have said £18k is no a wage worth the expense of living in London for.You could cut your rent in half ( or more) and still prob bring in the same money and be £600 a month better off.

BaronessEllaSaturday Fri 02-Oct-15 19:14:32

The table linked to above and the tax credit calculator both say you should qualify this year with just 1 child so I would recommend ringing and talking to them, it could be that you have filled something in incorrectly

tammytwigg Fri 02-Oct-15 19:17:49

Did you put your dh salary in as his net figure not top line because that's what you need to do when self employed ,this will make a massive difference .

WitteryTwittery Fri 02-Oct-15 21:15:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now