Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

crisis loan - help!!

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SophiaBug14 Mon 17-Aug-15 07:59:57

I renewed my tax credits online - as soon as i got the letter instructing me to do so. However, this must not have worked as i did not receive my tax credits on saturday as normal. I use this money every week to get my shopping so i now have no money for food shopping, nappies etc! I had to get a crisis loan two weeks ago to get a bed as mine had broken and also a cot for my 10 month old... am i able to apply for another one for food untill my tax credits are sorted? I get income support next friday but i will obviously need money now to tide me over... please help!

catonlap Mon 17-Aug-15 15:00:10

Have you phoned tax credits today to find out what has gone wrong?

StanSmithsChin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:13:44

Phone tax credits find out what happened.

Do you have family or friends that could loan you some money?
Failing that you can contact your HV who could make a referral to a local food bank. That would at least tie you over for a few days.

MarchLikeAnAnt Mon 17-Aug-15 15:16:18

I think you will probably end up having to go to a food bank.

lavent Mon 17-Aug-15 15:17:49

Whereabouts are you OP?

StanSmithsChin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:18:19

Seems odd that TC go in on a Saturday mine have always gone in on a weekday, usually a Thursday. Suppose it is different depending on when you started them.

MarchLikeAnAnt Mon 17-Aug-15 15:18:31

I think they take into account why you need it, AFAIK you can't get them for beds,cots etc so makes sure you don't use the same excuse as last time.

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Aug-15 15:21:11

Hi there,

Sorry to barge in. We have no reason at all to suspect that the OP isn't genuine, but as our regulars will know, we're obliged to post up the following statement on threads that have been brought to our attention:

We do advise all our members to be aware that not everyone on the internet is who they say they are, and that, although we're awed daily by the astonishing support our members give each other through life's trickier twists and turns, we'd always caution anyone never to give more of themselves to another poster, emotionally or financially, than they can afford to spare.

SophiaBug14 we're glad you're receiving some useful advice on this thread, and hope you're able to get things sorted soon. flowers

Groovee Mon 17-Aug-15 15:23:05

You'd need to call tax credits and ask. Your HV may be able to help with a food bank referal x

Electrolux Mon 17-Aug-15 15:26:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StanSmithsChin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:29:03

None of my direct debits come out before Monday if Monday is the date they are due to be paid then that is when the money is taken.

I have had wages paid in early though when the date has been a bank holiday.

Electrolux Mon 17-Aug-15 15:31:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lavent Mon 17-Aug-15 15:31:38

Possibly depends on the bank...?

StanSmithsChin Mon 17-Aug-15 15:37:21

Is that link for me Electrolux?

I dont need a link, I know where my money goes and when it is taken from my account and when it isn't. I do online banking and check it daily when my bills are due.

Lj8893 Mon 17-Aug-15 16:17:07

I used to be with natwest and Monday payments would go in and out on a Saturday.
The banks I am with now don't do this. Think it's just a natwest thing!

Iwasbornin1993 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:07:00

Same, I'm with Natwest and my Monday payments (in or out) always happen on Saturdays.

SophiaBug14 Tue 18-Aug-15 06:34:31

Hi again... thank you for all the NICE comments. What would i gain from lying about the payment going in on a saturday? hmm Lol.. i too do online banking regularly. Every week, the money is available on a saturday! I was also telling the truth about my reasons for needing the money on both occasions. Got a crisis loan approved yesterday for the same amount as my tax credits, on the grounds that a mother & baby with no money or nappies IS in fact a crisis. They work it out day by day how much you would need. So for 3 days i got £63. Just incase anyone needs this in future. (For genuine reasons!) smile

StanSmithsChin Tue 18-Aug-15 07:19:29

Where were the not nice comments confused?

Nobody accused you of lying and as for my comment I just assumed everyone got paid on a weekday I didn't realise Natwest take/put in money on a different day if it's a Monday payment.

Pleased you got sorted and I hope TC don't take long to restart your payments.

lavent Tue 18-Aug-15 08:01:15

I can't advise on Crisis Loans as they no longer exist where I am (England) but you will be able to get food and nappies from a Foodbank so perhaps keep the £63 for other essentials?

MarchLikeAnAnt Tue 18-Aug-15 09:29:06

My comment about making sure you don't use the same excuse was not ment to be hurtful, I just know that you can't get a crisis loan for a bed and cot.

SophiaBug14 Tue 18-Aug-15 13:52:18

Apologies for taking anyone the wrong way.. I just thought a comment about knowing that payments don't go in on Saturday (when mine actually did) are a little unnecessary.. I understand you didn't mean anything by this! I bank with Barclays btw. Also, I did get a crisis loan for a bed & a cot. I only mentioned it because I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not I could get another loan so soon, nothing really to do with the reason I previously got one. I know crisis loans are no longer available in England. We can still get them in Northern Ireland.

Blushingm Wed 19-Aug-15 21:03:19

Electrolux Lloyds don't do that, nat west does and I think Barclays buts it's not the same for all banks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now