Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Struggling to get by

(21 Posts)
s13nna Mon 13-Jul-15 16:47:52

Feeling fed up...things have been financially difficult for me for quite a long time, but I think it's only just just starting to get me down this badly in the last few months.

I currently don't work, have 3 children and I'm on IS. My DD3 is tiny so I'm not looking for work until she is a bit bigger. It is just a constant struggle every minute of every day and some days I dread getting up in the morning, knowing that it's another day of very little money to survive on. I receive no money from the children's father.

At the moment I'm trying to work out how to get together the money for new uniform & school shoes for September, the kids have grown out of nearly everything in their cupboards and I'm desperate for new shoes (my Primark ballet pumps have seen better days). I'm just feeling very down and I'm wondering how you all do it?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 13-Jul-15 16:53:17

I can't link but have you been on the " school uniform thread" in credit crunch?
Hope things get easier for you.
I think there may also be a thread for other clothes too?
flowers

lougle Mon 13-Jul-15 16:57:35

You might find that your council gives grants for uniform if you qualify for free school meals?

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 17:01:29

Why don't you receive any money from their father? If you are in the UK you should be receiving the minimum of £5k per week? When things are that tight for you then please persue him for it.

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 17:07:07

non-uniform stuff

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/2413424-CHILDRENS-CLOTHES-SHOES-BANK-thread

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 17:11:31

Uniform

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/credit_crunch/2412089-SCHOOL-UNIFORM-BANK-thread

If the things you need aren't on there please ask - it's a way of bumping the thread back up.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 13-Jul-15 17:18:22

£5k a week would be great for lone parents.

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 17:23:30

LOL - wouldn't it just!!!

Sadly should have been the pathetic miserly £5 per week as a minimum sad

s13nna Mon 13-Jul-15 17:24:45

Thanks for your replies I'm new here so I haven't had time to look at all of the different message boards. Didn't know there was a thread on school uniform blush

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 13-Jul-15 17:25:24

Why don't you work?

s13nna Mon 13-Jul-15 17:27:52

I don't get money off their dad for several reasons, it's a complicated thing but I can't accept maintenance off him

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 17:31:23

Erm you go through the CMS, you don't have to have any contact with him or anything.

Unfortunately things are going to get increasingly tougher. The CMS exists - he doesn't even need to know where you are if you are at risk from him.

avocadotoast Mon 13-Jul-15 17:40:02

MrsLeigh because her baby is tiny, it says so in the OP. Sadly it's not quite as straightforward as just magicking a job out of thin air, especially one that will cover childcare for three kids (and then some).

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 13-Jul-15 17:46:12

Having a tiny baby isn't a reason not to work. The lost says she's not looking for work, not that she can't find any work.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 13-Jul-15 17:47:00

And, obviously, if the babyvis tiny, she could have been working before it was born.

atthelake Mon 13-Jul-15 17:48:10

She probably can't afford childcare. Give her a break.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 13-Jul-15 18:38:49

Mrsleigh yes , yes it's is. Having a tiny baby is a good reason not to work.

s13nna Mon 13-Jul-15 19:03:34

Mrsleigh, i find your comments unhelpful, i wasn't asking for guidance on finding a job. I do not have to give you a reason as to why i am not currently working.

Turquoisetamborine Tue 14-Jul-15 08:47:56

If you have three kids and are a lone parent, chances are you're going to be affected by the coming cuts to tax credits and lower benefit cap. So you can try and tighten your belt but it's going to get harder.
I understand childcare for three children is expensive. Think the max you can claim through tax credits is £350pw to cover childcare so depending where you live, that mightn't be enough.
To protect yourself for the future, I'd be looking at what I could do on a self employed basis from home. I've seen lone parents do all sorts from eBay selling to online forum moderating. You will then be exempt from the benefit cap. You need 16 hours but that can include advertising your business, doing your books etc.
In the short term, get in touch with your council and ask about uniform grants. I'd tell the school office your kids have lost their jumper or whatever and have a root in the lost property box. Our school would rather someone had the stuff than it be chucked out.

RooibosTeaAgain Tue 14-Jul-15 12:45:33

s13nna - hope you found those uniform/shoes thread useful. Lots of kind people offering things to people there.

softdog Tue 14-Jul-15 13:23:01

The rules for self employment are getting much tougher though once UC comes in so it may not be a long term solution unless the business idea is sound.

OP check the MSE forums as well as they are great at frugal tips. Make sure you apply for everything you can, IS gives you priority for various things like the Warm Home Discount. You can also apply for a budgeting loan to help cover big costs but it's paid back through your IS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now