Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits provisional award?

(4 Posts)
NormaStits Sat 11-Jul-15 21:52:42

I completed our renewal recently but our circumstances have changed quite a bit. One child has left school and gone into work and our overall income for the year has gone down by around £10k. So I notified them of this and told them I'd like them to use or estimated income rather than last year's t calculate our entitlement this year.

I've received a provisional award. They say we are entitled to around £1k this year, have had around £550 so far so we only have £450 left to receive. They're paying me £45 per week until further notice. But that'll use up our £450 soon won't it? Will I just stop getting payments after 10 weeks?

Also, the £1k is far below what the online calculator said we'd get, that said £2800.

Can anyone please explain why I've got a provisional award? Will I get a proper one soon? Or will it be provisional all year because of my asking to use an estimated income for this year?

TheSultanofPing Sat 11-Jul-15 22:53:17

Hi
I received a provisional award around 6 weeks ago after notifying them about a change in circumstances. Like you I provided them with an estimated income.
Haven't received anything else since, so I presume that's it until next year's award.
It might be worth giving them a call if the amount seems wrong.

NormaStits Sun 12-Jul-15 11:19:02

Thanks Sultan. The biggest concern is that they're paying me a tenth of my entitlement each week, so I don't think I can rely on it as a long term thing.

I think a nice long phone call listening to their on hold music is in order.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 12-Jul-15 11:22:17

I was told any new changes will not apply until after August. So if you asked then to use a new figure after the date you renewed that could be the reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now