Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Irresponsible Lending

(3 Posts)
SisterMoonshine Sun 28-Jun-15 16:41:21

Is this something you can now make a claim for?
I am in a lifetime of debt and do, in part, blame Barclaycard.
But I am looking at a card that was being used 1990 - 1993 ish, paid off around 2004.

midnightvelvetPart2 Sun 28-Jun-15 16:46:59

If your debt is unmanageable then phone Stepchange or go & see the CAB for ideas on how to deal with it. Been there & its not good flowers if you would rather talk online then the forum at MoneySavingExpert is wonderful & there are very knowledgeable posters on there, although they are not as sympathetic as MN & they will be blunt.

I would think that Barclaycard have very heavyweight lawyers & will say that you're the one who spent it & your bad decisions are not their fault, or along those lines.

SisterMoonshine Sun 28-Jun-15 16:53:32

Than you. We dealt with Step Change about a year ago and things are so much better now. They showed us that we were prioritsing paying the debts over our family's welfare. We now have much more manageable monthly payments on the debts.

I thought irresponsible lending might be a long shot. But I don't remember asking for a card - just being sent one, would that ring true around the late 80s? And at a time I hadn't enough to live on. So definitely no means to pay it off, but desperate enough to use it.
I might have a look at PPI on that Barclaycard, but may be too long ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now