Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare costs tax credits - help! Please can you explain!

(7 Posts)
Milkandmarmite Sat 27-Jun-15 08:06:42

I'd be so grateful for some help as I've got myself in an anxious mess.

I will attempt to make it succinct. DS, 2.5yrs, currently in daycare 2 very long days. I recieve the childcare element of tax credit.

From September he is moving to a different type of pre school where the days are shorter (just mornings mostly) and will be recievjng 15 hours free from January. Because of times etc, I will have a nanny to have him in the afternoons etc. This will be good for him as he has an autoinflammatory condition and means the long, long days at current nursery are sometimes just too much. I have not applied for DLA for him but might do - the form scares me. Anyway, I am worried what impact this childcare change will have on my tax credits. Even if the nanny is ofsted reg. can I not use tax credits to help me pay for her?

Please can someone advise? And what happens during the holidays? Do childcare tax credits stop then? This is not something I have dealt with before as current daycare ran everyday except Christmas day!!!

TIA I am feeling very anxious!

Milkandmarmite Sat 27-Jun-15 15:02:46

anyone?

meglet Sat 27-Jun-15 15:14:52

I thought you could use CTC for Ofsted registered nannies?

you can claim during the holidays but can only receive extra money if the change is over 4 weeks, this is if it's based on a regular tr time childcare cost. so they won't change the amount you receive over half terms, Xmas and easter hols even if the cost goes up.

that's probably as clear as mud blush .

Milkandmarmite Sat 27-Jun-15 19:21:09

Thank you for replying. I can't seem to make head nor tail of it!

I am worried that I wont get what I currently get and I wont be able to claim for nanny...

AndNowItsSeven Sat 27-Jun-15 23:01:51

Yes you can claim
Childcare costs. I imagine your costs with a nanny will be higher than the maximum claim amount aloud.

Rockchick1984 Sat 27-Jun-15 23:02:11

You can claim towards the nanny, so don't worry about that aspect. Is the preschool only open term times, or is it open all the time but the hours are only funded term time?

Milkandmarmite Sun 28-Jun-15 08:50:38

The nursery is only open term time.

Going to get nanny to do holiday cover.

So nanny needs to be ofsted reg. they seem to be few and far between these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now