Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help on what to do about unfair parking ticket

(17 Posts)
Washei98 Sat 20-Jun-15 10:06:23

What should we do to fight Parking Eye as they have issued us with a parking fine of £100 & are now threatening to send us to court.
We entered a car park they run and tried to buy a ticket from the machine but the machine was out of order so we immediately left.They have sent photographic evidence and it shows we were in the car park for 10 mins.(trying all the machines in vain)
We went to another parking few meters away & paid for a ticket and we have sent them the evidence for that which shows we were willing to pay but their machines were at fault.
We have explained this to parking eye but they still insist we have to pay and now they are threatening to take us to court.
Please,please,please help us coz we are at our wits end with these bullies.We have two small children (2 yrs & 8 months old) & only one of us work so we can't afford the £100 of unfair charge.
Many,many thanks!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 20-Jun-15 10:14:28

Id just ignore them. Robbing bastards that they are, Parking Eye are the cunts of the carpark world.

They will threaten bayliffs and courts. Ignore. It will go away.

TendonQueen Sat 20-Jun-15 10:20:04

Is this one of those private parking firms? I got a ticket not from Parking Eye but another one, but they all seem to have the same approach, which is to send many, many, increasingly aggressive letters threatening court, giving you final deadlines then final final deadlines. I toughed it out and eventually the letters stopped and nothing ever happened. Hold your nerve and don't pay.

titchy Sat 20-Jun-15 18:56:02

Agree ignore. Even if you go to court the most they can ask you for is their material loss, which is however much 10 mins of parking is. They can't claim heir own costs, solicitor or court costs from you, although they'll say they can.

titchy Sat 20-Jun-15 18:56:58

Oh and it's not a fine they have sent you, it's an invoice. Council parking wardens and police can issue parking fines. No one else can.

ginmakesitallok Sat 20-Jun-15 18:58:26

Ignore them out tell them you'll see them in court. Arseholes

Lweji Sat 20-Jun-15 19:01:48

That is really odd, as most parks allow a decent amount of time for people to go back out again if they decide not to park.
10 min is hardly parking, and in addition to the rest of the evidence I doubt they will win at court. Tell them you'll see them there.

MrsPnut Sat 20-Jun-15 19:09:29

Don't ignore it, you can get it cancelled pretty easily. Ask advice on this forum

Washei98 Sat 20-Jun-15 22:29:55

Ooh I forgot to add that we asked parking eye for the POPLA code & the declined saying that the deadline for the appeal have passed.
Yes we find it very odd for them to charge us £100 for entering & leaving the car park in 10 mins and we've clearly explained that the tickets machine was out of order which they already know.

Lweji Sat 20-Jun-15 22:46:28

Could you get back to the park and check the conditions of use?
There should be something about how long you can stay in without paying (pick up/drop off) and if there were alternative payment methods.

Washei98 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:34:21

Will check the conditions.There was alternative payment where you are required to call & pay by card but the number is a premium no so we didn't want to incure the cost so we got out of that car park & went & parked & paid at another car park few meters away.

TendonQueen Sun 21-Jun-15 01:16:24

Even if this got to court (which it won't) the fact that you actually went and bought a ticket from a different machine will show your intentions were to pay and you're not guilty of anything. Either ignore, or say 'fine, take us to court and we'll show up with our ticket that we paid for'. You are not liable, nothing will happen. Don't pay them a penny. They'll bluster on and then disappear.

Washei98 Sun 21-Jun-15 10:26:07

Thank you all for your advice.Really appreciated

CountryLovingGirl Sun 21-Jun-15 18:58:30

Don't pay, just ignore them. I had a similar thing happen a few months ago. After about 4 letters they gave up!

CountryLovingGirl Sun 21-Jun-15 18:59:53

I would sue them for harassment!

Julieb85 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:47:37

I agree, I'd ignore it. It would cost them a lot more than the £100 to go to court. These private companies don't issue tickets - they are merely 'invoices' for a service you did not sign a contract for. Don't worry.

dementedma Mon 22-Jun-15 21:51:13

Don't let them bully you. I have had two situations where I got letters asking for fines and I wrote once to each of them, explaining the situation each time and saying there was no way I would be paying. Never heard from either of them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now