Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Recommended budgeting app?

(14 Posts)
lisbapalea Tue 16-Jun-15 13:26:27

I have been using a home made spreadsheet for years to track our budget across the month. It's totally untechnical, and way more time consuming for me than it needs to be but I have developed a sort of compulsion to use it every day!

I find that while I can now check my bank balance every day on my phone etc, that's not a very good way of knowing how I am actually doing for the month - for example my bank balance might tell me I have £1500 available but that's not taking into consideration that I have £1750 of standing orders or direct debits still to come out!

So, can anyone recommend an app which would help me maintain my obsessive budget watching, without resorting to my clunky old spreadsheet?

babyiwantabump Tue 16-Jun-15 13:29:42

Marking place as I need the same!

lisbapalea Tue 16-Jun-15 16:30:08

Bumping for inspiration?

Indantherene Tue 16-Jun-15 16:41:35

I've just signed up for a trial on You Need A Budget. It looks complicated but seems to be highly recommended on here, and you can sync your phones to it as well.

PurpleBananaPie Tue 16-Jun-15 16:43:24

I'm another YNAB fan. I enter spending on my phone as I go and I know exactly how much I have left in each category. You can get a months free trial to see how you get on with it but I liked it so much, I paid for it (about £30?).

SurlyCue Tue 16-Jun-15 16:46:09

I tried YNAB on the free trial and i found it quite confusing. I think from what others were saying it is because i was starting with debt (overdraft and credit cards) and also that it takes a few months for the system to all sync up or balance up according to your accounts.

I actually have a free version again because i am a student now but have been put off using it due to my past experience. Maybe i will give it ago now that my debts are gone.

pocketsized Tue 16-Jun-15 16:47:03

We have the goodbudget app, only just got it but seems good so far.

PiggyPlumPie Tue 16-Jun-15 16:48:17

I use YNAB - takes a little while to get used to. It's worth trialling it for free.

lougle Tue 16-Jun-15 16:49:55

YNAB all the way here - been using it for a few years now and I'm never worried about money.

annielostit Tue 16-Jun-15 17:41:15

Spend tracker used here.

lisbapalea Tue 16-Jun-15 19:57:29

Thanks all - will check these out!

SurlyCue Tue 16-Jun-15 20:08:37

Could anyone help here? I have opened up my YNAB on my laptop and it has stored all my previous transactions from when i first used it. My budgets are all different now. Is there a way for me to delete it all and start again?

lougle Tue 16-Jun-15 20:15:46

Yes, if you go to the top left corner of the screen and click on the drop down menu, you'll see 'Make a fresh Start'. That will keep all your categories and get rid of all the data (but it will save a copy so you can use it if you want to).

SurlyCue Tue 16-Jun-15 20:20:35

Ahh thanks lougle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now