Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits.work and maternity!!?

(5 Posts)
babyalan13 Sun 14-Jun-15 18:48:42

I work 30 hours and have 4 children so I receive child tax and working tax. Are you meant to tell tax credits your on maternity!? I didn't! But my income did go down a bit. It was year so will it matter?

babyalan13 Sun 14-Jun-15 18:50:36

A year ago!

callmewhatever Sun 14-Jun-15 18:56:21

No you do not need to tell then you are/were on maternity leave. However at renewal time you do need to deduct £100 for every week you are in maternity from your earnings for that tax year, up to 39 weeks can be deducted. Depending when you were on maternity leave it may all have fallen in the last tax year, if however, some was for the tax year before that then you probably won't be able to amend the figure. When did your maternity leave start?

babyalan13 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:30:29

It started November 13 to may 14.but I've already renewed! I never took anything of my final p60 amount!

callmewhatever Sun 14-Jun-15 23:07:22

If you have just renewed for this tax you may be able to get them to change the figure, but it would only be for the period from 6th April 2014 to the date you returned in May, so deducting between £300 and £700 depending on dates.

The period before this would have had to be taken in to account with the renewal last year, and it's rare for hmrc to take it in to account for previous tax years. No harm.in checking with them though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now