Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefit calculators and housing benefit award.

(4 Posts)
Everythinghappensforareason1 Thu 11-Jun-15 23:01:44

Just wondering if anyone else has been in same position and any advice would be welcome.

Applied for housing benefit a few months ago, I got it awarded (35 per week) but all the calculators said I was entitled to more, therefore I asked for it to be reconsidered.

I get a letter today to say I am actually getting paid less now (28per week) and that I have been overpaid by £96. It doesn't make sense.

The councls own benefit calculator says I am entitled to 43 a week and entitled to website says I am entitled to £62 a week.

Anyone used these calculators and get different amounts?

What should my next step be? Thinking of sending the council a copy of what the calculators work my entitlement out as.

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

Everythinghappensforareason1 Fri 12-Jun-15 10:49:57

Bump

annielostit Fri 12-Jun-15 11:46:41

Ask the council how they came to the amount.
Entitled to calculators are just a guide.

6LittleOnes Fri 12-Jun-15 11:51:14

The calculators are there to give an estimate but are rarely accurate. But the council should have told you that when you applied.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now