Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone else keep being told by HMRC that they haven't filled in their tax return?

(15 Posts)
MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 17:15:58

Dh has had yet another letter telling him that he hasn't filled in his tax return and that he is amassing a fine. He is bloody adamant that he has. He rang them last time he had a letter only to be told that he had to do it online. Which he'd already done. confused

I have asked him to go through his emails and find some sort of acknowledgment or proof that he has actually done it.

Is it possible that for some reason it didn't go through and as far as they're concerned he hasn't done it and is going to have to pay a massive fine? He is currently swearing and crashing around the study. Could really do without a big tax bill. Should we be worried?

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 08-Jun-15 17:17:43

He should have got an email with a submission number that tells you the time and date it was received.

If that is not in his inbox, it sounds like it didn't go through, sorry

Pestolavista Mon 08-Jun-15 17:25:34

I had a client recently who swore she had submitted and paid online. However when she showed me the receipt it turned out that she had used a third party website who had submitted the return with the wrong figures in and pocketed her money. She had foolishly filed her return using her phone and thought it was the official HMRC site.

He needs to submit and pay any tax asap.

Radiatorvalves Mon 08-Jun-15 17:31:15

I didn't think I needed to do it...but realised I was just over the £100k limit. So although I have paid tax on everything, I need to pay more. And am a dead cert for the £100 fine.

I know I won't get any sympathy for it, but it was a bit irritating. My basic is a lot lower than 100 so was not expecting this.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 17:37:00

He hasn't got any email with any submission number.

He is so angry. He says he's filled it out twice now. He's phoned them three times to say he doesn't want the child benefit anymore but it keeps going into the joint account.

They are so fucking useless. He's swearing now that he's got to pay the fine. He's not happy.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 17:38:27

He's paid them £100 already because they said it didn't go in on time. He did it some time in January. So how does he prove he did it if he hasn't got that email? He can't can he?

RunsWithScissors Mon 08-Jun-15 17:55:09

Can he sign in online to his account and view previous tax returns? It should show up there.

I admit to paranoia, I do a screen shot of the "submitted" message every year just in case.

Hope he can get it sorted.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 18:31:39

He says it shows that he last logged on on the 3rd March but there's nothing else there.

How can such an important system be so prone to this mistake?

Thanks for all your help. Looks like we now have a tax fine to pay. Along with the car services, car tax, Mots, insurance, tyres and brake pads, dd2s birthday and the holiday remainder to pay. Been an expensive month this month. Really hope he doesn't say we've got to forfeit the holiday. Or my car. confused

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 19:17:06

Jesus Christ. Dh finally managed to get through to a human being at the tax office who told him that not only did he not have to pay a fine but that he'd actually won an appeal on the original £100 fine. It would be bloody nice to be told that! And have the £100 returned. He's now got a submission code. He's still not convinced that it won't all go wrong again though. My god they like to put you through the wringer don't they? I told him to screen shot the page with the code on, I don't trust them one bit.

RunsWithScissors Mon 08-Jun-15 19:24:43

Oh that's wonderful.

Definitely screen shot it.

:-)

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Jun-15 22:25:13

Done. Thanks. smile

annielostit Tue 09-Jun-15 15:28:16

Is there really human beings in the tax officegrin??????

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 09-Jun-15 17:04:30

Yes but dh had to hang on the phone for nearly an hour before he wound him down enough to answer the damn phone. grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 17-Jun-15 11:16:31

Well today a letter has come to say we owe £390 in fines. Dh will go up the wall. Apparently the tax return was only submitted last week. No, that's when we found out we had a code. He definitely didn't submit another one.

Do we ignore? The bloke he spoke to on the phone last week said we had already won the appeal. So surely any further correspondence to the opposite is wrong? I assume it's stuck in the system somewhere and wil catch up eventually? I hope. confused

caffiene99 Thu 18-Jun-15 14:52:30

We've had to ring up twice in the past few weeks and were on hold for well over an hour both times.

I made sure to get the name of the person I was talking to. I was told that we would receive a letter within four weeks (confirming that we didn't have to file a return and that no finges were owed).

If nothing arrives in 4 weeks we're to ring them back.

If you're unsure it might be worth calling again and asking the agent to check what is written in your notes. In our case the girl we spoke to explained that it had been referred but would just take 4 weeks for the paper/official confirmation. That might help put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now