Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Addicted to gambling

(3 Posts)
sadandaddicted Fri 29-May-15 22:27:39

I've just told my DH that i am addicted to gambling sad

it started with bingo and now i owe ££thousands on credit cards. i see posts on here telling ladies to leave their husbands if they have gambling problems and I am so worried and ashamed.

I am blocked from all my sites now and i honestly don't want to do it any more. Everyhwere I see adverts for new bingo sites and it's so hard to resist. PLease does anyone else have this problem?

TalkinPeace Fri 29-May-15 23:49:42

Lots, but very few own up to it.

Sit down with your DH and work out exactly what you owe.
Now cut up the cards.
Convert the monthly payments into standing orders so the card balances drop fast
and then find your local gamblers anonymous.
If you can, get your DH to come too as he will need to work with you to retain your brain.
THe money can be dealt with in a year or two.
Your marriage is the bigger issue.

You'll be OK.

stickyuphair Sat 30-May-15 16:27:39

Well done for taking steps to deal with your problem. It's a good idea to get support from an organisation like Gamblers Anonymous to make sure you don't get lured back into it. What was your DH's reaction? Can he support you by taking steps to help you avoid accessing those sites again (e.g. getting you out cash weekly and keeping credit cards locked away?)

Are the debts manageable on your income? You can get help from an organisation like Stepchange to sort out a repayment plan or more formal measures if they are too big to cope with. If you can't even manage the minimum repayments then you'd need to look at insolvency solutions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now