Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Student Loans/Erudio

(1 Post)
befuddleded Fri 22-May-15 12:29:08

Hi All, hoping people can provide me with some help. I know there are lots of Erudio threads but I have a different situation!

I have a pre 1998 student loan which was passed to Erudio. When I was sent all the documentation from them about the changes, I found out I was in arrears and had been for 2 years. The arrears were more than the loan! I questioned this with them as when I started my current job, payments to the student loans company were automatically taking payments from my salary, i didnt receive anything from the SLC to say they were doing this. I have 2 loans that are after 1998 and it turns out this payment was for these loans. I didn't receive a deferment form and therefore assumed that I couldn't defer as they were already taking the money from my salary.

I have complained through Erudio an they wont do anything so I have sent it to the FSO. I have heard back, but they have quite a lot of the details wrong so I am waiting for a call back.

The FSO have said that as I deferred on previous occasions I should have known to do this again and it is therefore my responsibility.

Am I being unreasonable in suggesting that given that they had placed an attachment on my salary and hadn't contacted me, or asked me to defer that i assumed that i was paying? That I would have no way of knowing that these payments were for later loans? how would I ever know if they didnt tell me?

I look forward to your responses. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now