Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can I claim JSA if I am only looking for part time roles?

(15 Posts)
chocnomorechoc Sat 16-May-15 19:19:27

Being made redundant but have only worked p/t (25h) for ages as one of my DC is severely disabled and we don't have access to suitable childcare (couldn't also do full time physically and mentally due to caring responsibilities).

Can I get contribution based JSA if I am only available for part time work due to being a carer? Or must I be available for full time roles? Never signed on before so totally clueless.

I am

professornangnang Sun 17-May-15 07:13:52

I only experienced going for jsa once but my experience was that you're expected to be fully available for all work and you have to prove that you're applying for jobs.

RedHelenB Sun 17-May-15 07:21:05

Unless it's changed recently then that's ok. I got contribution based JSA for 4 months and said I was only looking for part tiime work.

Fairylea Sun 17-May-15 07:22:52

If you have other commitments that would prevent you working full time then I think that would be okay - I signed on and was only able to work 16-24 hours. I do think it's area dependent though and whether you get a sympathetic advisor!

18yearstooold Sun 17-May-15 07:34:30

If you have children and are a lone parent, or have caring responsibilities you have to state what hours you are available and prove that you are looking for jobs within these hours

The hardest part with that is you have to agree to apply for x amount of jobs each week -if there aren't that number of jobs advertised then its because you haven't looked hard enough hmm

GratefulHead Sun 17-May-15 07:38:48

Yes you can, JSA advisors are generally very human I find. When I had to give up work due to DS's difficulties they were brilliant as I was panicked that giving up work would mean I'd get nothing. They were really supportive to me, advised me to claim Carers Allowance and Incime Support rather than JSA until life had settled. I am now just about to start job hunting again and my Jobcentre Advisor has suggested I ease into this by doing voluntary work which I can cancel if there are issues with DS. But he has also said he will help me as soon as I feel confident that things are truly settled.

noisytoys Sun 17-May-15 07:39:08

Would it not be best to claim carers allowance and top up income support? I haven't needed to claim but DD is registered disabled and on higher rate DLA, if I was out of work I would apply for that before JSA.

chocnomorechoc Sun 17-May-15 07:40:08

Thanks, suppose it it OK then.

AuntieStella Sun 17-May-15 07:40:53

Yes, it's OK to stick to your previous work pattern (sector/role/hours) for at least the first 13 weeks, and then expand range somewhat for next 13 weeks.

By which time the contributions based JSA wil, have expired. You can then either sign off (but are you in receipt of another benefit that brings NI credits?) or you'll need to expand your search significantly.

chocnomorechoc Sun 17-May-15 07:45:15

Noisy - I spoke to CA people and as I am getting a small enhanced redundancy pay I will be banned from claiming CA for the weeks this pay covers. It is only 1k but it means I cannot claim CA for several months despite having no earnings and a child on High Rate DLA. So I have to go down the JSA route... You don't win as a carer sad

chocnomorechoc Sun 17-May-15 07:48:10

Auntie, once JSA expires I should be able to claim CA again. But really, I am desperate for another job so hopefully this signing on will be short lived!

chocnomorechoc Sun 17-May-15 07:50:46

Also, I booked a 3 week holiday in august (before I knew I was going to be made redundant). How does that work with JSA? I cannot cancel. All paid and it is my only break I get all year (from working/caring).

chocnomorechoc Sun 17-May-15 10:03:23

Should I inform them in the first interview that I already have a holiday booked?

ratinkitchen Sun 17-May-15 12:08:25

I believe you have to inform about holidays, because you would not be looking for work during this time

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Wed 20-May-15 15:09:39

Hi I would mention the holiday but if it's in the UK you are still considered to be available for work and take it as a "break" but they take contact details in case a job comes up. If it's abroad (ie EU) and out of Uk then you are signed off for the duration of the holidays. Best just to tell them then you are holidaying in the UK and saves confusion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now