Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rossendales bailiff

(40 Posts)
prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 19:40:09

Got a letter saying they've visited, for a council tax debt of £200, debt is now up to £500 (?!) anyway, I live in an unusual building so the chances of them actually getting me is fairly slim , lots of people as it's a school boarding house.

I'm not sure they even visited as didn't put anything through my door, how many times do they visit if there is no joy ? And is there a chance I will just get away with ignoring it and sending the letters back not at this address ?

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 15-May-15 19:42:58

No chance. They are unstoppable. Write to them straight away. Do you owe the money?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-May-15 19:46:32

I wouldn't think a bailiff would just go away - no. I can't quite picture where you live? Is it a past school boarding house now split into flats? Or is it still a school boarding house?

They will return for certain if you don't contact them - couldn't they just ask someone where your specific address is? They can't force entry though, so if you are not home or don't answer the door there's very little they can do on that visit. However, you can expect the debt to rise which each bailiffs visit.

I would just contact them and organise a repayment plan TBH.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-May-15 19:47:46

With each bailiffs visit - not which.

NerrSnerr Fri 15-May-15 19:48:57

They won't go away and the bill will go up every time they visit. Do you owe the money? Do you work at the boarding house? Just because I can't imagine them being discrete.

Miele72 Fri 15-May-15 19:51:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 19:52:03

No it's an actual school boarding house, I live in a flat above but hardly ever hear the door. It's such a pain to get to, you cant park in front of the building and I wondered if they would just give up if no one ever answered.

I was just about to pay the bloody council bill but then got a letter from rossendales, I absolutely refuse to give those bastards any money. Unfortunately now it's been refered to them the council won't take the payment. The debt has been sold on

Fairylea Fri 15-May-15 19:52:26

I don't mean to scare you but you can end up going to prison for a council tax debt. It is extremely serious (as opposed to other debt that is just normally passed from pillar to post). If you owe the money and cannot pay you must contact the council directly urgently and agree a repayment term with them, even if it just a token amount.

I know it's scary but honestly please don't ignore the bailiffs.

Fairylea Fri 15-May-15 19:53:13

Sorry. I cross posted.

You should make an appointment to see someone at your local citizens advice office.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 19:53:57

You can't just pay the council once rossendales have it

fortunately Fri 15-May-15 19:56:18

Have they got a court order?

With it being CT I can't see them leaving it. The debt will go up and up and you'll have to pay it eventually.

Offer them the original £200. They might take it.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 15-May-15 19:59:11

Make an offer to them, and quickly. If you can't pay it in one go, offer what you can in a lump sum, and a payment plan for the rest. They are relentless.

However, if they do get to your door, refuse to let them in, and DO NOT sign anything. By law you don't have to.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 15-May-15 20:01:59

Have you read the fact sheet on the National Debt Helpline website about dealing with Council Tax debt? There is some useful info in it.

itsallgonetitsup91 Fri 15-May-15 20:03:20

Hi I've got debt with Rossendales they are very reasonable on the phone if you ring them up. Just tell them that you have x available after utilities to pay them every month and that it's pointless sending bailiffs as you don't have anything of value. They were more reasonable than the council for me and once the debt has been sold you have to deal with them.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 20:06:05

Thank you that's really helpful, I think I will write to them and offer the original debt amount. See if they accept, might ring council tax office first just to check they won't take payment still.

Don't think they have a court order yet.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-May-15 20:07:03

OK, do you also work at the school?

Because I really wouldn't put it past them to come into school asking for you, and that would be embarrassing at best.

Does the letter mention a website? Some of them let you login using your reference number & arrange a payment plan that way. That could be done straightaway and will immediately stop action (so long as payments are made as expected).

If no website, phone at your soonest opportunity. You really do have to pay it one way or another.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 20:07:47

Thank you that's really helpful, I was told not to ring them as they won't take part payment, I'm on mat leave at the mo and have a 7 week old baby so not going to be able to pay much for a far few months

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-May-15 20:10:57

FWIW - ours here (not Rossendales though) will not accept the original £200, as that £200 will be what they have had to pay the Council. There is no reduction with Council Tax. They can't just sell the debts off cheaply.

If the bailiffs accepted £200 they would be doing the collection for free, which is not how they make money. Whether they would negotiate a reduction on their fees at all I don't know.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 15-May-15 20:13:01

Who has told you they won't take part payment?

If you have nothing of value, they are much better off by agreeing a repayment plan with you.

BettyCatKitten Fri 15-May-15 20:14:27

I've had dealings with rosendales, they're ruthless! Get them off your back as quick as possible.

prettywhiteguitar Fri 15-May-15 20:19:38

Christ I really don't want them rocking up at the school reception ! I don't actually work at the school my partner does but it would be fairly cringe......

I will call them tomorrow

prettywhiteguitar Sat 16-May-15 17:50:03

Well he did hand deliver the letter into school at reception, which if you knew how you had to get to it it's totally out of order.

The letter had my address printed on and they went to school reception, so I'm going to complain to the council about them basis ally trespassing into school to hand deliver a letter cause hey can't be arsed to find my building, which is on the main st.

fortunately Sat 16-May-15 18:44:36

They're not trespassing if they're in a public building.

They could have done it in the car park at pick up. That would have been far worse!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 16-May-15 19:00:14

I think they're allowed to find you at work, if they know where you work, so can't imagine it would be trespass.

Sneaky, underhand & embarrassing - yes.

Have you spoken with them now?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 16-May-15 19:02:07

Sorry, I know you don't work at the school - but your DP does & the debt would be joint wouldn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now