Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

First car help and advice please!

(14 Posts)
Lioninthesun Sun 25-Jan-15 11:27:24

I passed my test last week (wahoo!) and am now looking at cars.
Initially I wanted a 2nd hand Golf, but my dad sent me a link to WhatCar suggesting I looked at the Hyundai. I really don't like the look of it as much and the back seats appeared the passenger to chop of their legs at the knees... I digress.
Anyway I then scrolled down his link and saw they also recommended the Dacia. I looked at their site, not having heard of them before. I found the Stepway Ambiance www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/sandero-stepway/configurator/ which I really like the look of and is roughly £1k more (brand new) than a cheap 2nd hand Golf.
I am booking a test drive for next week, but wondered if anyone has driven one/has one/has any advice?

I know they are cheap and cheerful - I don't really want anything flashy like an Audi or anything - not that I have the budget for it either!

thenightsky Sun 25-Jan-15 11:30:19

Before doing anything, google the make and model followed by the word 'faults' or 'problems' or 'common faults and problems'... or words to the effect. Google will take you to the user forums for that make and you'll see what commonly goes wrong and whether its an expensive fix or something easy.

For reliability I always go for cars built in Japan.

thenightsky Sun 25-Jan-15 11:36:37

Your sandero looks good actually on googling...

look here

thenightsky Sun 25-Jan-15 11:38:49

read owners reviews here

Lioninthesun Sun 25-Jan-15 11:42:28

Thank you! I hear in Europe they have a jhappy customer base. I'll read your links now!

BellaVida Sun 25-Jan-15 11:48:28

Have you thought about road-tax-free or a hybrid? Cheaper to run!

Lioninthesun Sun 25-Jan-15 11:53:42

I did actually think about a hybrid but not sure I can afford a second hand one?

Rockchick1984 Sun 25-Jan-15 12:03:02

Insurance on a second hand golf will be very high ("boy racer" car) so make sure you take that into consideration as well.

Lioninthesun Sun 25-Jan-15 13:14:04

Yes, I thought it seemed quite high. Only looking for a 1.2 engine or under really, so the Stepway is tiny .9 if get the petrol!

Misspickle1 Sun 25-Jan-15 14:17:03

Peugeot 106 everrrrytime!
Mine is brilliant.
I'm 42 and I do get stick off my teenage dd for driving it but seriously the best car I've ever had grin
Cheap as chips, reliable, cheap tax and insurance, parts etc.
Had it a few years nearly. I replaced brakes, exhaust and battery when I bought it but had no problems at all. Its really nippy for such a small engine.
Honestly don't knock em, take one for a test drive. Mine was a bargain wink

Lioninthesun Sun 25-Jan-15 15:06:18

I guess I am wondering as well if people think it is silly to get a new car, and not just spend a few hundred on a second hand car?
I thought a new car that would last me the next 10 years would be better, but the cheap second hand cars keep popping up and I'm wondering if it is a better idea for a first car? Then I think about protecting my daughter and think a new car would be better and go around in circles.

What are the pro's and cons of a new car? Do you think it is better to get a new or used car? I've been looking at under 70k miles and full service history cars but if you think second hand is better, what else should I look for?

magpieginglebells Sun 25-Jan-15 15:08:39

I drove the Hyundia i10 for a couple of years and it was a lovely car (but not ideal if you regularly want back seat passengers). It would be a perfect first car.

SnowWhiteAteTheApple Sun 25-Jan-15 17:52:47

I passed recently and after looking at the cost of second hand went for brand new instead for not much more. Glad I did for the safety spec alone but the warranty and brand new parts felt a better buy.

lbspublic Sun 24-Jul-16 15:43:18

Ideally spend £3,000 or more which will get you something not too old and reliable.

It probably goes without saying, a car which has done 10k mile per year or less is a good starting point. Usually ones with 1 lady driver, especially if they are elderly that is going to be a winner with reliability.

If your going to buy privately, A HPI check is a must. If you end up buying a car privately that has been stolen, you can say goodbye to your car and the money which you paid!

There are a few blogs around which give helpful tips on good reliable cars

drivingtest360.wordpress.com/

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now