Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do estate agents tell lies about the interest in a property??

(58 Posts)
darlink Thu 12-Oct-06 01:00:15

Have put a bid on a house (Scottish offers over system)

quite an unusual house would not have thought much interest.

No other bids when I offered yesterday.
Agent now say they are expecting another bid tomorrow of 30 thousand more!!!!

Might they be lying to force my hand? (not that I can afford to be forced)

housewife84 Fri 05-Oct-12 14:33:13

I am sorry but Estate agents are running a business like anyone else! I agree it is wrong to lie and if they are then they should be pulled up on it! But i think they should be given a break ! I had no problem with the estate agent i used i offered below asking price and the seller agreed! No rubbish about others offering more or anything! The whole process was very quick and easy! So i really think it depends who you get!! I do believe some bigger estate agents maybe trying to get more money but who can blame them! The same happens when trying to buy a car they lie about the price and no one has a go at them about it! When you think about it if you tried to sell your house or your car you would do what you could to get the most money for it!! I bet if you were selling your house you would let the agent do what they can to get the most money!!

DameFanny Fri 05-Oct-12 14:40:07

I don't think we'd all do everything to get more money hmm

Last time I sold a flat I'd accepted an offer when another came in. I was happy with the buyer - had cash, no problems with survey etc - but the agent tried to pressure me into raising the already agreed price. Was very annoying.

housewife84 Fri 05-Oct-12 14:42:48

I know not everyone would maybe that was a bit of a silly comment! But i just think estate agents get a lot of bad press!! Which is fair enough a lot of them are useless!! But i feel a bit sorry for the honest ones out there because people just have no trust in them anymore!

DameFanny Fri 05-Oct-12 14:52:30

:-)

I think we all need to be a bit less grabby when it comes to housing - its the greed of the 80s and 00s that's left house prices so ridiculously high, and filled the rental market with unrealistic landlords.

In my very opinionated opinion :-)

DameFanny Fri 05-Oct-12 14:52:31

:-)

I think we all need to be a bit less grabby when it comes to housing - its the greed of the 80s and 00s that's left house prices so ridiculously high, and filled the rental market with unrealistic landlords.

In my very opinionated opinion :-)

housewife84 Fri 05-Oct-12 14:59:23

Very True!! Everyone blames the banks but if we were not so obsessed with credit none of this would have happened! I have heard that if everyone paid of there debt then there would be no money left! As the money we deal with is just debt being passed around!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Oct-12 18:23:07

When our last house was sold (we were tennants) the estate agent didnt so much lie as omit the truth ie yes it has got a heater in that room (no mention of the fact it didnt work).

They did get it spot on though with which buyer would buy it. Poor sods, I wonder if they have known coldness like it.

I think people probably lie to them to, saying they have a mortgage arranged when they dont and so forth.

Graciescotland Fri 05-Oct-12 18:33:53

We had an estate agent try and push us higher on a house, when we walked away she came back with an offer £5k under our last offer but we'd already offered on somewhere else, we're still thinking about it but it seems kind of dishonest of them. I wish there was an easier way.

P.s. Just because it says offers over doesn't mean an offer under won't be accepted given the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now