Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Walking away from marriage

(10 Posts)
Gawainsgirl Mon 07-Jul-14 23:07:27

My husband and I have agreed to divorce. I am unemployed but wasn't eligible for JSA as husband was well paid. He sold marital home recently and I am going to have to fight for any share, as I wasn't on the deeds and it was mortgage free. We are living in a rented house.

Where do I start to negotiate some money to be able to walk away? No children, married 2 years.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 08-Jul-14 08:49:50

You need a solicitor and quite urgently. You may be able to negotiate a settlement privately but you need professional advice to make sure that you are not selling yourself short. If he is cooperative it may not end up in court but, if he is obstructive, that's something you should be prepared for. Was the house owned by your husband prior to the marriage?

Gawainsgirl Tue 08-Jul-14 12:42:53

I've been told that I'll need money for a solicitor as there's no legal aid, so in the first instance I'd need some money to pay her. Yes my husband owned the house.

TalkinPeace Tue 08-Jul-14 13:37:25

I believe mediators are now compulsory.
Go see a solicitor and get the first half hour consultation and then get referred to a mediator.
Yes, it will cost money, but you'll get back much more than you spend.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 08-Jul-14 13:40:55

If you ring around there are some solicitors that will offer a free initial consultation from which you can get a good idea about your rights and reasonable expectations. If you have no money, you can recruit a solicitor on the basis that their fee will come out of the marital assets. If your STBXH pre-owned the house and you were only married two years your entitlement will be limited but it is still worth making a claim.

Suzietwo Thu 10-Jul-14 21:50:48

If he has capital from ex family home you'll have a good claim for legal funding from him.

Go to solicitor. Tell them your story. Let them worry about getting paid. They'll soon tell you if they don't think you have a hope (I think you do)

Gawainsgirl Sat 12-Jul-14 13:29:27

Thank you all - solicitor on Monday xxxx

EarthWindFire Sat 12-Jul-14 17:21:18

Yes, it will cost money, but you'll get back much more than you spend

Not necessarily in a short marriage with no children, which is the case here.

PintOfWine Sat 12-Jul-14 17:25:58

Not sure why you think you're entitled to property he owned before he met you, based solely on a very short marriage (given you need to be married a year before you can divorce) and no dependants.

EarthWindFire Sat 12-Jul-14 17:52:15

Not sure why you think you're entitled to property he owned before he met you, based solely on a very short marriage (given you need to be married a year before you can divorce) and no dependants.

I agree. In short marriages with no dependent a you usually take out what you have put in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now