Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

child benefit question?

(4 Posts)
chloesmumtoo Fri 04-Jul-14 09:23:42

My eldest child is thinking of leaving 6th form for an appreticeship and I am just trying to plan out money matters incase this benefit ends. Due to him being the eldest he receives more child benefit. If he no longer receives child benefit will our second childs child benefit go up to the higher rate as will be the only child being claimed for? I hope that makes sense.............

fedupdownhere Fri 04-Jul-14 13:53:20

Yes it will I have just done mine due to my son leaving college and my second childs benefit has gone up

Inthedarkaboutfashion Fri 04-Jul-14 13:57:29

When child benfit stops for the eldest one the younger one gets the higher 1st child rate.
However, some apprenticeships count as full time education and don't stop child benefit entitlement. You need to check whether your Cab will stop or whether you will still be entitled to it whist your eldest is doing the apprenticeship.
Some info here:
www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/chfte-notes-1106.pdf

chloesmumtoo Sun 06-Jul-14 19:47:40

Great thanks very much, real help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now