Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Advice needed please

(8 Posts)
Teadrinkerandatinker Wed 02-Jul-14 21:07:10

I think i may be pregnant as i am a TTC'er but i have been given a job out of the blue by a friend so i'm wondering can i work through the pregnancy and get maternity leave ? also what would childcare costs be like when i went back to work ? id be earning about £800-900 per month and OH earns £800-950 a month we live up north too so it is cheaper to live obviously but its still might be a struggle in terms of childcare confused can anyone help me ?

Teadrinkerandatinker Wed 02-Jul-14 22:14:51

anyone ?? i thought there would be some MN'ers with a nanny or childcare

Cindy34 Wed 02-Jul-14 23:03:38

As long as you are not pregnant before starting the job then you are likely to qualify for maternity leave. Think it does depend on salary level. Look on Gov.uk for the eligibility criteria.

There is a Childminders, Nannies board, may get a better idea of childcare costs of reading things on there.

Cindy34 Wed 02-Jul-14 23:05:41

Your local council can send you a list of childminders, that may give you some local info about fees. Also look at online listings, and nurseries and some childminders will have websites showing fees.

junespoons Tue 08-Jul-14 17:49:08

www.adviceguide.org.uk is usually really helpful for this sort of question. Its the Citizens Advice Bureau public website. I have a feeling it might be Maternity Allowance in this situation rather than Statutory Maternity Pay but the CAB will know or ACAS on 0300 123 1100

NEScribe Tue 08-Jul-14 18:40:50

Hi,
We don't pay childcare now but when we did, we qualified for tax credits which could be claimed specifically for the nursery fees. If you are not both on high imcomes, it is worth checking on childcare credits.
Hth

addictedtosugar Tue 08-Jul-14 19:02:26

My up north childcare was £700/month for full time (7.30am-6pm Mon-fri was possible, we collect way before the end)

Yes, you need to be working before you fall pregnant to get SMP. If you have worked recently, and don't qualify for SMP, you may qualify for maternity allowance.

happyjackie Wed 09-Jul-14 22:48:57

You will be eligible for Maternity leave of up to 52 weeks, but maternity pay is slightly different. If you are already pregnant when you start work for a new employer, you won't qualify for statutory maternity pay but you may well qualify for maternity allowance instead. This will be the case as long as you have worked for at least 26 of the 66 weeks before your due date week and earn more than £30 a week. Maternity Allowance is currently £138.18 per week for 39 weeks. If you have a look at the Direct Gov website you can input your dates and details to check exactly what all your entitlements are. https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-maternity-pay
I should mention that I'm an HR manager so this is my field of expertise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now