Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Weekly to monthly tax credits.

(7 Posts)
Celestria Tue 01-Jul-14 17:45:35

I am fed up of living week to week and want to be able to properly budget money which would be easier if it was monthly.

However I don't know how I will do it. I have four dc. Every fortnight I receive income support of 144. Every month I receive 244 in child benefit.

I need gas and electricity and food. The kids and I could walk to school instead of bus fares. I have bills to talk talk. Sky which I had to get as no freeview signal here but got a very good deal on and only basic package. And my phone with three. Talk talk is around thirty to forty a month. My phone is around thirty. Sky is twenty five pounds but I have split up with my partner who contributed for sky sports which I intend on cancelling.

If I did a really basic value type food shop I might be able to go a tight month. Kids are on school holidays soon though so food costs will go up for lunches.

What would you all advise I do?

greeneggsandjam Tue 01-Jul-14 19:22:50

Im confused, do you actually get tax credits? The bit about phones was confusing too, so you spend 30 or 40 a month on talk talk plus 30 on your mobile phone plus 25 a month on sky tv. that's an awful lot of money!

Celestria Wed 02-Jul-14 00:14:11

Hi yes I do receive them weekly at the moment but id like to shift to monthly.

Talktalk is my broadband provider as well as line rental. Three is my mobile phone contract provider. Sky is twenty two pounds a month. I

greeneggsandjam Wed 02-Jul-14 17:52:48

I advise you to spend less on your mobile phone for a start if it really is £30 a month. Im not sure why receiving your money monthly would help you budget better though. Isnt it more helpful to know that you have some money each week than having to wait a whole month?

prisonerofallisurvey Wed 02-Jul-14 22:18:31

Have you looked at the Moneysavingexpert website

They have a budget planner. Basically you input all your income and expenditure and the planner calculates weekly/monthly amounts for you so you can see how much you are spending. I've found it very useful.

Also remember that child benefit and tax credits are paid four weekly not monthly whereas many bills are monthly (ie first of the month). The budget planner is very helpful for showing you how much you need to save/have put by for expenses.

Celestria Wed 02-Jul-14 22:58:33

It's thirty pound for my phone. It's an iphone and a twenty four month contract. I use my phone for lots of things such as housekeeping schedule , online banking , calendar , to do lists , journal , gratitude journal , sleep apps , music , books , camera , news and lots more. It's pretty much my organiser.

I am sticking with weekly budgeting now however. I have changed child benefit from monthly to weekly which will help.

I am a mse member and will definitely use the budgeting tool thanks smile

SoonToBeSix Sat 02-Aug-14 20:18:18

When your contract ends get a giff gaff sim and a phone that is is on 02 network.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now