Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit Change of Circumstance - What happens to your payments?

(7 Posts)
TheWickerWoman Fri 27-Jun-14 14:30:39

Hello All

Just after a bit of advice on my tax credits situation. I was claiming as a single parent until I informed them recently about my partner moving in.

OK, so, I had a letter back thanking me for letting them know and a 'Summary' which tells me this is not a decision about your entitlement, the amounts shown on the form are provisional.

It then goes on to list my payments already made this year and the circumstances etc such as hours worked.

I don't fall into the same income bracket since my dp moved in so obviously my payments will decrease - fair enough but I need to confirm with them our combined income figure.

What I really want to know is, will they completely stop my payments until they have all of our info back on our earnings (I am due a payment next week) or do they continue making payments as normal then re-assess your claim when they have the correct figures. Has anyone here, any experience in changing circumstances and how did it go?

I did try calling them today but they are on strike as offices closed.

Any advice more than welcome.Thanks

Babyroobs Fri 27-Jun-14 15:55:57

From what I read on similar forums, if you are going from a single claim to a joint, it means making a new claim which means they stop your payments and you have to wait a few weeks until new payments begin. It should be backdated though.

TheWickerWoman Fri 27-Jun-14 16:02:56

That's what I've found on google searches too, babyroobs.

I sent my dps p60 with my letter advising them of change of circumstances and they have seen my p60 as the figure is on the renewal form so I'm hoping that should speed things up. To be honest, I don't really know what they do need, could have got it all sorted today when I tried ringing them. It's just not knowing whether I'll get a payment or nt next week and budgeting.

stigofthecastle Fri 27-Jun-14 16:11:36

When I rang them yesterday it said something about industrial action and you could be waiting longer. I held on and spoke to someone. So are they not answering at all? The wait wasn't all that long after that either.

TheWickerWoman Fri 27-Jun-14 16:26:06

No, I tried three times and it said offices closed but you can renew online if it's just giving information. There's no one there to answer questions.

stigofthecastle Fri 27-Jun-14 18:33:27

Hrgh how annoying. I'm going to try tomorrow morning. I would budget if I were you and keep doing so until you get a firm answer as it always takes a while.

TheWickerWoman Fri 27-Jun-14 19:36:36

Yeh think I best do that. I'll know Wednesday roughly what I'm getting, I think they will either not pay me or pay me the adjusted amount.. Assuming I don't get to speak to them before that. Good luck ringing them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now