Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Children As Pension Plans

(2 Posts)
MasqueradeWaltzer Fri 27-Jun-14 09:44:35

Earwigging in Asda this morning, as you do, I overheard the woman in front of me at the checkout say something that really startled me.

She'd been griping generally about having to pay £170 for something her daughter (a teen, I gathered) wanted/needed for school. I wasn't paying much attention until she ended with this rhetorical flourish: 'I don't care what she does, as long as she earns enough to look after me in my old age.'

I'd been expecting the traditional/usual '...as long as she's happy', so perhaps that added to my surprise, but I can't stop thinking about it now.

In a society where pensions and savings are increasingly beyond the reach of many, is there a group of children growing up with the expectation of having to pay for their parents, as well as any other dependents they might pick up along the way in life? And isn't this going to contribute to the pressures they already experience?

I know it's hardly a new thing, to expect children to look after elderly parents, but this woman's tone suggested she thought it her absolute right. I must admit, I felt sorry for her daughter.

What do you think?

specialsubject Fri 27-Jun-14 10:17:02

I know plenty of people that say this. It is called 'a joke'.

as my father always says 'be nice to your children, they choose your care home'. :-)

I have also said to my parents that if they spend all that they have and leave me zero, that is perfect. I've had my inheritance with their bringing me up, educating me and supporting me (not financially).

they will be self-sufficient; but this is the UK and no-one will starve. Unlike other places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now