Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mat Pay Decisions, equally spread?

(7 Posts)
Lbelle82 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:16:44

Hi Folks, I'm just new to mumsnet so apologies if this is a bit clumsy!

I've to decide now whether I want to take "normal" mat leave pay or to spread it equally over 9 months.

I'm very lucky that I work for the NHS and even have the chance of up to 9 months to a year off but I'm a worrier by nature, especially when it comes to money.

My normal mat leave pay would be 8 weeks full pay, 4 months half plus SMP, followed by the remaining 3 months SMP .......OR........I could have an equal payment every month for 9 months.

I'm not complaining in anyway as I realise I'm lucky but I'm just not sure what to do as I've always worked and never been without a full wage.

Any advice much appreciated!

Tealady1983 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:19:19

Personally I would go for equal every month for 9 months. That way you know what's coming in and can budget right from the start x

Lbelle82 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:22:21

Thank you, that's what I'm thinking, it would allow be to be more organised and to budget better.

Ilovefood15 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:53:44

Hi, I am currently on maternity leave and work for the NHS. I decided to have my pay split equally over the 9 months, however, I'm not sure if you are aware smp payments are not split it is just the mat pay from work if that makes sense, so the first 8 weeks are a little bit less than the rest of the time because the smp doesn't start until after 8 weeks. I must admit I did find he first 8 weeks a bit f a struggle without my full wage. If you speak to HR they will be able to advise and give you exact figures, I found it very confusing lol x

Ilovefood15 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:54:16

Hi, I am currently on maternity leave and work for the NHS. I decided to have my pay split equally over the 9 months, however, I'm not sure if you are aware smp payments are not split it is just the mat pay from work if that makes sense, so the first 8 weeks are a little bit less than the rest of the time because the smp doesn't start until after 8 weeks. I must admit I did find he first 8 weeks a bit f a struggle without my full wage. If you speak to HR they will be able to advise and give you exact figures, I found it very confusing lol x

riffleraffle Tue 24-Jun-14 22:06:20

I also work for the nhs and have just returned after 9 months mat leave. I definitely recommend the equal payments. I didn't have the chance to arrange this first time round and I never knew how much to expect until I was paid each month. Not easy to plan with this approach! During my latest leave the payments were not exactly the same each month but all within a certain range and much nicer than the approx £500 pay packets when you only get smp.

Lbelle82 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:12:23

Many thanks folks, really appreciate all your advice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now