Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Please help me figure this out - recently widowed, pregnant - finances!

(13 Posts)
grobagsforever Sat 21-Jun-14 08:35:26

First of all a huge apology if this comes across as a grabby, I'm just trying to make my life as easy as possible having just lost DH to cancer. I am 37 weeks pregnant and on maternity leave. I normally work 30 hours per week and earn 41,0000. I've worked out I can claim child benefit for two children (have three year old already) and widows parents allowance. I'm very surprised to learn I'm also entitled to tax credits on my salary.

I'm baffled though - should I claim these whilst on maternity leave? If so they'll be assessed based on my pre maternity leave pay? Which will be wrong. And then when I return to work what do I do? I don't see how given my income is going to fluctuate so much over the next year my award can ever be accurate? I don't want to be overpaid.

Also given I will have savings from DH insurance policy am I actually entilted to child tax credits?

Morally I feel wrong claiming but then I didn't ask for this horrible situation and we both have paid a lot of tax for years. God this does sound grabby. ..

Should have mentioned I will be using childcare on mat leave so I can get some sleep/housework done!

grobagsforever Sat 21-Jun-14 08:36:33

41,000 not 41,0000!!!

wannabestressfree Sat 21-Jun-14 08:39:05

Yes put in a claim as it's based on the year. For example my childcare element is paid throughout the year even though I am a teacher and don't use it in the holidays.
I wouldn't see it as grabby at all.
And I am sorry for your loss xx

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 21-Jun-14 08:50:02

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss.

HappySunflower Sat 21-Jun-14 08:55:42

The people on the tax credits helpline are actually very helpful, so I would phone them and explain the situation.
You will need to have your P60 in front of you, along with calculations of what you expect to be earning for this tax year, so from April round til the end of March next year. They will deduct the first £100 per week of your maternity leave, so you will need to know how much occupational maternity leave you are being paid (if any)
They will also want to know your average weekly childcare costs after any early education funding has been paid.

You can and should claim what you are entitled to. If it makes life a bit easier for you in the coming weeks and months, well, that's as it should be in my opinion.

I am sorry for your loss, and hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. X

HappySunflower Sat 21-Jun-14 08:56:38

Apologies- I said maternity leave, I actually meant maternity pay!

I don't know the answer but it's definitely not grabby. You (all of us!) are entitled to help from the state when we're down on our luck and you've gone through hell and deserve all the help you can get to enable you to provide for your family.

CMP69 Sat 21-Jun-14 09:27:51

Did you have help from the palliative care team or any Macmillan services while your husband was ill. They will be able to help. So sorry for your loss thanks

beccajoh Sun 22-Jun-14 08:51:19

Try contacting Macmillan. I was recently diagnosed with cancer and DH has been speaking to them about all matters financial. They've been really helpful.

beccajoh Sun 22-Jun-14 08:51:46

And you're not at all grabby!

TalkinPeace Mon 23-Jun-14 22:31:52

Hi Grobags I saw your big thread and no, you are NOT being grabby.
I am deeply impressed that you are already starting to come up for air.

As your DH was ill for such a horribly short period of time, you probably did not come into the radar of the big cancer charities.
It is possible that the hospital may have a list of phone numbers of free advisers who can take you through the unusual (but sadly not unique) situation in which you find yourself.

Here is the HMRC guide : its very dry but ALL the information is there about all the things you are entitled to now and for the next couple of years
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/263235/np-45.pdf

This is a very peaceful, supportive forum. Feel free to set us reserach tasks as you have rather a lot on your plate.

grobagsforever Mon 23-Jun-14 23:10:38

Thank you everyone. I am putting in a claim and checking that potential nannies are willing and able to OFSTED register so I can use TCs to pay them. Still shocked I am entitled to anything on my salary.

TalkinPeace Tue 24-Jun-14 16:45:51

grobags
You are now a single parent with one (soon to be two) dependent children.
You are entitled to all sorts of help and allowances so long as your salary stays under £50,000

I meant to look up the tax status of the life insurance payment last night but am pretty sure its clear - and you are going to NEED that money as a cushion for when you get utterly exhaused in the coming months.

Good luck and enjoy the sunshine as best you can.
xx TiP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now