Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Freehold house but leasehold garden

(5 Posts)
Teaandtoast1 Thu 19-Jun-14 23:13:05

I also posted this on property and DIY bit thought I'd try here too as it's an odd question.

The house we are buying is freehold but the large garden is leasehold, what does that mean anyone? And should I be worried (cause I am) solicitor not got back to us yet.

Thanks

BrianTheMole Thu 19-Jun-14 23:14:44

How long is the lease for?

BrianTheMole Thu 19-Jun-14 23:16:52

I looked at a house once where the end part of the garden (which backed on to a road) was leased from the council. It really put me off as they could take it back any time and build on it. So I didn't buy it.

BlackandGold Fri 20-Jun-14 09:38:47

Would you be better off posting this in Legal?

Teaandtoast1 Sat 21-Jun-14 09:48:11

I didn't even realise there was a legal section, I thought this was it. As it happens I managed to speak with my solicitor. She says it's ok, looks like the receiver owns it now so it's like any other sale just I won't know things like how many times it's been burgled or if there are any neighbour disputes either.

She reassured me about the leasehold thing too, she's going to investigate more but says it's actually quite common and don't worry.

It's a really good price for the area , needs a lot of cosmetic work but provided all this is ok I think it will be worth it.

( I duplicated that post as I asked a similar question on another thread)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now