Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Allowance delay

(6 Posts)
lbsjob87 Wed 18-Jun-14 17:56:18

Does anyone know how long MA is taking to process at the moment (as of June 14)?
I am 37 weeks, I finished work on May 23rr but was advised I couldn't claim before that date.
I sent my form off same day, so nearly 4 weeks. I've phoned today to see if there's any progress, apparently they haven't even received it yet!
I am not getting paid from work now (only started in November so not entitled to SMP) and really need to at least know when it's coming so I can budget.
I have to ring on Monday "to see if they've found it" and if not they will "raise an incident" which essentially means they will look a bit harder.
Anyone have similar experience who can advise how long it's likely to take?
Am getting a bit worried about running out of money, as my payday is usually next week but this month I'll get zero.

Ellisisland Wed 25-Jun-14 10:00:17

Hi I had a similar situation with MA a few years ago. In my case they said they would look into it and then 2 weeks later they sent me a letter saying I hadn't sent my MAT1b form in and so my form could not be processed. I had sent the form in they had just lost it! In your situation I would chase it up but also get all your paperwork together again in case you have reapply.

gutted2014 Fri 27-Jun-14 11:58:44

When I applied for my MA (in May) it took about 6 weeks instead of the 3 weeks I was advised. However, I was later than I intended in applying, so this meant I got 3 months' pay all in one go, which was rather nice grin

moobaloo Tue 01-Jul-14 18:50:13

Mine took ages to process unfortunately. sad

Was that the first form or the second? I sent the first at 28 weeks and received a letter saying I would be entitled to MA and another form to send when I finished work as I didn't have a date initially. Like you I sent that one the day I finished at 37 weeks. Didn't receive any money for 6 weeks. I phoned them after a couple of weeks and they had received it but they were very busy and dealing with a backlog. I phoned again after I'd had my baby (and he was 10 days overdue!) and they said they could bump me up the priority list if I was single but as my partner had a job I'd have to wait because of their backlog. I eventually got paid and it was backdated to when I finished work but it was a horrible time not knowing when I'd receive it!

I'd ring again and express concerns - if they haven't received it ask what you're supposed to do, will they need a new form etc. Tell them you need it to start ASAP

Hope it all gets sorted xx

bjoke Tue 01-Jul-14 19:58:31

I finished work 2 weeks before baby was born but I waited til I had a birth cert before sending my MA form. I must have sent it about 2 wks after baby was born. It took about 8 weeks to get the 1st payment but it was backdated.

yongnian Tue 01-Jul-14 20:00:35

Mine was delayed by about 8 weeks. Again, backdated and running smoothly now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now