Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

mortgage help (partially self employed)

(7 Posts)
juneybean Sun 08-Jun-14 19:31:02

I'm looking to buy my first home, I have at least 10% deposit, possibly 15%.

However I'm employed part time and self-employed with only one years accounts. I previously saw a financial advisor before the mortgage market review came in who said only Halifax offer mortgages for one year accounts.

Now I've found a house I like and wonder if I should contact Halifax direct or go back to the financial advisor. Presumably they are only going to contact Halifax on my behalf?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sun 08-Jun-14 19:33:33

Do both! Sometimes advisors know back doors and can pull strings, sometimes it's easier just to do it directly.

I'd ring around a couple of other places as well and see what they say.

Good luck!

juneybean Sun 08-Jun-14 21:33:29

Thank you! I suppose I need to start the credit check tomorrow, is that something you can do twice? :S

juneybean Mon 09-Jun-14 08:27:24

Oh boo, the house I like they are wanting 10k over the guide price.... What's the point of guide prices then?

Scotmum83 Sat 14-Jun-14 16:02:08

Try both but I think that it might be easier for your broker to deal with this for you. My husband is a contractor and only had one year accounts we managed to get a mortgage through Halifax and the process was actually easy having the broker do it on our behalf.

juneybean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:12:56

Got my credit check back today and they won't take any of my self-employed stuff into account and I don't earn very much on the employed side so can only borrow £50,000, might be able to find myself a nice shack for that....

juneybean Thu 19-Jun-14 14:18:20

What are the chances of an underwriter taking my self-employed stuff into consideration if the credit check did not? :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now