Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

mortgage help (partially self employed)

(7 Posts)
juneybean Sun 08-Jun-14 19:31:02

I'm looking to buy my first home, I have at least 10% deposit, possibly 15%.

However I'm employed part time and self-employed with only one years accounts. I previously saw a financial advisor before the mortgage market review came in who said only Halifax offer mortgages for one year accounts.

Now I've found a house I like and wonder if I should contact Halifax direct or go back to the financial advisor. Presumably they are only going to contact Halifax on my behalf?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sun 08-Jun-14 19:33:33

Do both! Sometimes advisors know back doors and can pull strings, sometimes it's easier just to do it directly.

I'd ring around a couple of other places as well and see what they say.

Good luck!

juneybean Sun 08-Jun-14 21:33:29

Thank you! I suppose I need to start the credit check tomorrow, is that something you can do twice? :S

juneybean Mon 09-Jun-14 08:27:24

Oh boo, the house I like they are wanting 10k over the guide price.... What's the point of guide prices then?

Scotmum83 Sat 14-Jun-14 16:02:08

Try both but I think that it might be easier for your broker to deal with this for you. My husband is a contractor and only had one year accounts we managed to get a mortgage through Halifax and the process was actually easy having the broker do it on our behalf.

juneybean Sat 14-Jun-14 20:12:56

Got my credit check back today and they won't take any of my self-employed stuff into account and I don't earn very much on the employed side so can only borrow £50,000, might be able to find myself a nice shack for that....

juneybean Thu 19-Jun-14 14:18:20

What are the chances of an underwriter taking my self-employed stuff into consideration if the credit check did not? :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now