Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Handing notice in while still on mat leave

(16 Posts)
ThinkingtheUnthinkable Tue 03-Jun-14 22:51:03

Benefits used here to describe any top up monies received via the government such as child benefit, tax credits, working tax credits etc.

Looba84 Tue 03-Jun-14 19:21:54

Thanks for the replies. Exactly what do you class as benefits?

ThinkingtheUnthinkable Tue 03-Jun-14 17:00:41

If you have a mortgage it would also be sensible to factor in a rise in mortgage rates and see if you can still afford not to go out to work, after childcare etc.

ThinkingtheUnthinkable Tue 03-Jun-14 16:58:50

Please don't see dietcokefan's post as an opinion. I've read it and re-tread it and it certainly isn't. She merely asks a though provoking question based on information which is the generally accepted fact that more benefits cuts are known to be in the pipeline.

Please do all the sums, working out what you are currently entitled too and then re-do them at 15% less for the benefits amounts.

If you can still manage financially then decide accordingly but I'd hate to see you posting on here in 12 months time with all sorts of financial stresses due to benefits cuts when you need to be factoring that information in to your decision making process now. with regards where things may be heading for those who choose not to work outside the home and are therefore currently eligible for a range of top-up type benefits funding.

This is not an opinion it is good advice in the current political climate.

beccajoh Tue 03-Jun-14 15:49:45

Have you seen the 'entitled to' site? You could enter in all the details for if you were working and see what it says, and then do it again for not working.

LIZS Tue 03-Jun-14 15:49:19

If you're due back in September then aren't you already at the unpaid stage of ml ? You are employed until your notice expires .

Looba84 Tue 03-Jun-14 15:44:55

Urgh forget it. Just wanted a straight answer not opinions

dietcokefan Tue 03-Jun-14 11:21:17

It's stressful because nobody can tell me exactly what tc and child tax ill be entitled to so its making the decision to quit work to be a full time mum hard

Is it the right decision then if you're going to be dependent on benefits, which are likely to be cut further in the current very anti-welfare political climate? Could you work part time?

Looba84 Tue 03-Jun-14 09:22:20

It's stressful because nobody can tell me exactly what tc and child tax ill be entitled to so its making the decision to quit work to be a full time mum hard :-s

Looba84 Tue 03-Jun-14 09:20:21

It's stressful because nobody can tell me exactly what tc and ctx ill be entitled to so its making the decision to quit work to be a full time mum hard :-s

Spindelina Tue 03-Jun-14 09:10:59

Definitely yes (if you hand your notice in with a leaving date of September), and in addition you remain an employee until September.

Possibly yes (if you hand in your required 4 weeks notice), but then you are no longer an employee which can have implications.

If I were you and had definitely decided (no turning back), then I'd give notice for September, but hand it in now.

Looba84 Tue 03-Jun-14 06:02:00

Im not due back until beginning of Sept and only have to give 4 weeks notice. But was wondering if I handed it in now will I still get stat mat pay until sept???

justabigdisco Mon 02-Jun-14 21:54:09

I did this - needed to give 3 months notice so informed them 3 months before end of SMP. I had to pay all my occupational mat pay back though sad

Spindelina Mon 02-Jun-14 21:44:16

Can you hand in notice now with a leaving date at the end of your mat leave? Last time I handed in my notice, I gave 9 months when 8 weeks was required! That way you are still employed for as long as possible.

Angelto5 Mon 02-Jun-14 21:39:43

i did it (over 8 yrs ago).i handed my notice in 4 weeks before i was due 2 go back & still got my stat mat pay.Do u know how much notice u have 2 give them?

Looba84 Mon 02-Jun-14 21:29:56

Hi. Im considering handing my notice in but was wondering if I was to do it now will my statutory mat pay stop? Or am I still entitled to that until my original end of mat leave date?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now