Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where can I save money?

(58 Posts)
kazzawazzawoo Sun 01-Jun-14 19:24:30

I need to save money. Dh has been out of work over ten months, he just started a new job. I work part time, not on a great wage. I am spending far too much on food. However, we eat low carbs as dh has lots of weight to lose and low carb works best for him and I have ibs and low carb helps control my symptoms. But it's very expensive.

I sometimes shop at aldi, sometimes at asda, their cheapest range, not much difference in the prices. Obviously we can't bulk food out with pasta or rice

Re. other expenses, we are tied into our mobile contracts til December and have reduced our tariffs as far as possible. We pay £44 for a phone/broadband/tv package with bt that i think we are tied into- dh wouldn't consider canceling anyway, nothing would be cheaper either.

I've reduced gas and electricity costs to £95 per month. Can't affect water, council tax, etc. Fuel and parking can't really be reduced, we need to get to work

We don't go out, don't eat out, dh has the odd beer at at home, I don't drink at all Our biggest outgoing is food. I spend too much, about £400 per month for myself, dh and dd aged 13 and sometimes ds aged 22 - I try to always have something in the freezer for him.

The top up shops are usually for comfort food like crisps, chocolate etc or if we run out of veg milk etc.

Any ideas for vouchers, savings? Our local supermarkets seem to barely reduce at the end of the day.

Sleepyhoglet Tue 03-Jun-14 17:27:33

We save loads with Tesco clubcard points

antimatter Tue 03-Jun-14 17:40:14

What about fat?
LC should be high fat, low carb and low protein
more like 60-20-20
I know it's not easy as it sounds but do you perhaps eat a lot of protein instead of fat to quench your appetite?

HAve you put your diet on My fitness pal to see % of what you eat in terms of % and how much calories?

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 18:15:38

Yes I use lots of butter and olive oil. I'll try using My Fitness Pal smile

I haven't been using Tesco much, as I find them quite expensive, so have been alternating between Aldi and Asda. But Quidco sent me a voucher for Tesco and new online shoppers get £12 off their first shop so I'll give them a try Seems more expensive than Asda's basic range though.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 03-Jun-14 19:45:10

Last time I rang BT they offered £7 a month off my bill and I hadn't even asked for it, I was ringing to say I was moving house confused

Do you have a market? You can freeze lots of veg if you chop it first & the meat might be cheaper too.

antimatter Tue 03-Jun-14 20:28:24

Look at using other fats like dripping instead of oil.

I hope your DH releases that he is wasting his LC effort eating Doritos grin

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 03-Jun-14 20:41:32

There's a lot to be said for lard, yes it's saturated but its less prone to changes during heating that are carcinogenic.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 21:04:38

Yes I do fry with lard. I'm trying to get out of the habit of cooking with oil, it's just habit.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 03-Jun-14 21:10:24

I think it's fashion that made us all change to oil, my mums always been ahead of her time and said years ago oil changes when heated.

Ememem84 Tue 03-Jun-14 21:18:52

I know we're talking food here but own brand toiletries if at all possible.

Cut down on unnecessary appointments (eg haircuts ). You've said you need your car to get to work, can you try a car share with someone else going your way and get £ for petrol?

antimatter Tue 03-Jun-14 21:34:49

I bought this week 750g 20% fat minced pork in Sainsbury's for 3.50 (or 5 pounds for 2) - I think that's amazing value for money.
I just added some black pepper, lots of freshly grounded nutmeg and some salt and fried flattish "burgers". I think I had 11 or 12 out of one pack.
If I was doing it for the kids I would add some breadcrumbs.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 21:41:54

I only have my hair cut once a year. Dh goes every 8 weeks, but it only costs £10. Dd also goes once a year.

I don't buy expensive toiletries.

A carby share isn't possible as I come home at lunchtime to let the dog out. Dh never knows what time he'll finish work sad But I'll have a chat with him and see if we can find a way of doing it.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 21:57:05

"car share", not carby share! ! hmm

750g of beef mince costs less than £3 at Aldi, also makes nice burgers or meatballs I've never tried pork mince though.

Ememem84 Tue 03-Jun-14 22:00:08

It came out as cat share the first time I typed it obvs not what I meant...so corrected it. Though a cat share would be nice.

Can you go veggie for a while?

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 22:05:15

As we don't eat carbs I don't think I'd ever be full if I only ate veg!

antimatter Tue 03-Jun-14 22:22:30

Are you using websites like this one: www.mysupermarket.co.uk/

I guess worth working out when your supermarket is reducing meat/veg (it's 3-5 pm in our Sainsbury's) and have room in your freezer.
Some people swear by cheaper meat at their butchers, my freezer is too small for big shops some use.
Also markets have meat stalls and I remember meat being cheap there.

kazzawazzawoo Tue 03-Jun-14 22:45:39

I only have a small under counter freezer sad The butchers around here seemvery expensive? The local supermarket never seems to have reduced meat sad

I haven't bought meat from the market, I was a bit worried about hygiene. Are they generally ok?

antimatter Tue 03-Jun-14 22:51:08

I would happily buy red meat and stay away from chicken.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 04-Jun-14 06:57:36

I'd imagine the market butchers are checked for hygiene. There's usually a website you can check their star rating on.

Our local supermarket is rubbish at markdowns too.

beatingwings Wed 04-Jun-14 07:05:12

What a bout beans/pulses/lentils etc? Huge bage of these can be bought very cheaply from Asian shops- and many supermarkets.

kazzawazzawoo Wed 04-Jun-14 07:45:59

Pulses, lentils etc set off my ibs sad

do you use value cleanign products, or at least own brand soaps?

or you could clean with vinegar and lemon and bicarb

own brand shampoo, ?

antimatter Wed 04-Jun-14 08:11:28

What also helped me was to write every single penny I was spending for a month.

Does your DS pay you rent? he is 22 right? and the 13 year old, does she have expensive treats that can be curtailed.?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now