Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Moved house, energy account with Scottish Power nearly £500 in credit - how to get it back?

(19 Posts)
lottieandmias Fri 23-May-14 13:00:13

When I moved house, SP who is no longer my provider said that they would send me a final bill within 5 working days. This has not happened - I'll bet I would have got one had I owed THEM money instead of the other way around.

Anyway, I really need this money, there is no sign of it coming back and every time I phone customer services I get cut off.

Do they actually have the right to hold on to people's money like this? Anyone else been in this situation?

lottieandmias Fri 23-May-14 13:01:27

And surely they must have had my direct debit up way too high...

MooncupGoddess Fri 23-May-14 13:04:39

Do you have a figure of exactly how much they owe you? How come customer services cut you off?

I have been in this situation with Scottish Power and they sent me a cheque for the amount, it was fine - but clearly something has gone wrong here. If you don't have any luck with customer services try their complaints procedure.

lottieandmias Fri 23-May-14 13:16:38

How long did it take mooncup? It says the balance on my online statement which also says closed. When I called the person tried to transfer me and I get cut off..

LumionaMoonsplash Fri 23-May-14 13:19:26

You need to call and persevere and demand a refund by return.

MooncupGoddess Fri 23-May-14 13:23:46

I can't remember, but not that long.

I suggest you write them a letter asking them to send you a cheque for the balance within the next 14 days. If nothing happens, write them a follow-up letter saying that if you don't get the money in another 7 days you will be making a formal complaint.

It's a nuisance, but I'm sure you'll get the money back in the end. If the lack of it is causing you problems then make sure you state that in your letter.

Janek Fri 23-May-14 13:24:28

Take the name of the person you are speaking to, and the name of the person you are being transferred to and ask for a direct number 'in case you get cut off'. Bizarrely, it may not be their real name, but if you ring back whoever you speak to should know who they are?!?

lottieandmias Fri 23-May-14 13:27:39

Thanks for replies. I think they usually identify themselves when they take your call don't they? It's a lot of money which I could use to pay the bills at my new house.

MirandaWest Fri 23-May-14 13:28:38

Do they have a twitter presence? I have found this is the best way to get in touch with my utility company.

ginmakesitallok Fri 23-May-14 13:32:07

Have you called them about it?

lottieandmias Fri 23-May-14 14:31:26

I'm pretty sure they do have Twitter but I'll try calling them again tonight. They should not be charging people so much for their direct debit that you end up with such a large credit.

skitter Sun 25-May-14 08:01:53

I left the UK in late 2012 and requested a refund from Scottish Power for £130, as that's how much we were in credit. I forgot all about it as I had so much on with the move abroad. Last week I checked my UK bank account and they had literally just refunded the money after 1.5 years!! Hope you get your refund a little sooner!

Bohemond Sun 25-May-14 08:05:16

Don't hey have your new address? Perhaps they have sent a cheque to your old house (as if you were just switching)

roadwalker Sun 25-May-14 08:10:31

Good luck
I hate Scottish Power and will never use them again
I was left in credit by only £30-40 and rang I don't know how many times
Despite all the calls I gave up, I thought it was going to cost me more in calls than the amount owed
There is more at stake for you though, I hope you have more success than me

WeAllHaveWings Sun 25-May-14 08:21:55

I was £400+ in credit and they sent a cheque without even being asked.

specialsubject Sun 25-May-14 13:42:35

you can book a callback from them - allow at least six hours. This will stop the expense if you only have a mobile.

or raise a formal complaint. It is your money!

I got my end balance back without asking, although it was only about a fiver.

for future ref take regular meter readings and monitor your usage. This kind of credit should never build up.

lottieandmias Sun 25-May-14 13:47:35

I gave them regular meter readings but they didn't take any notice of them and used estimates instead. The estimates were probably based on last years when we had a loooong winter up until April, if I recall. And this year I had the heating on a lot less.

lottieandmias Sun 25-May-14 13:48:36

I got a callback from someone yesterday. He didn't seem to know what he was talking about!

specialsubject Sun 25-May-14 17:40:28

wow, not good OP. When I was with them their systems seemed to work. Changed to npower late last year, their IT is all over the shop. Why companies tinker with systems that work is beyond me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now