Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you dread your annual MOT?

(20 Posts)
mumoffourlovelykids Mon 19-May-14 18:30:33

Is your MOT bill a cost you don't want to look at?

BeggingYouForBirdseed Mon 19-May-14 18:36:48

Nope! Do the basic checks yourself I.e lights, oil etc. Book online and use a discount code, got yourself an MOT for under £30. And a pass!

Only if something unexpected crops up!

BingoWingsBeGone Mon 19-May-14 18:58:36

Not usually. But my bill was £1,600 this year. Ouchie sad

Pantone363 Mon 19-May-14 19:03:04

Yes.

I live in horror of something breaking on my car. MOT day is horrendous

Indith Mon 19-May-14 19:04:44

Nope, we set money aside into a pot for mot and service. We base amount on what it cost last year plus a bit for contingency. But we do the same for all yearly costs eg insurance.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 19-May-14 19:06:33

Yes.
We are a one car family and every mot is terrifying because too much work, and we can't afford it.
Then we're stuffed.

Preciousbane Mon 19-May-14 20:40:16

No because I have owned two Toyotas and they are very reliable.
Last MOT was 134 including a full service.

specialsubject Mon 19-May-14 22:24:36

£300 a year budgeted for welding etc on my previous car. So had to scrap it (even though it ran perfectly) as it didn't make sense. New (to me!) one will hopefully do a bit better!

never fail for the obvious things though (lights, wipers, tyres etc) - you can check all those and should do regularly.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-May-14 09:16:38

You can take them to council run mot centres, mse reckon they are less likely to fail you.

mumoffourlovelykids Tue 20-May-14 09:59:10

@fluffycloudland77 are the council run MOT centres reliable though......I hear horror stories about that well known company beginning with K...so am thinking I should avoid them and find an independent garage.

@beggingyouforbirdseed I might just see what I can find online smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-May-14 10:10:11

www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot you can read about it on this page if you scroll down.

mumoffourlovelykids Tue 20-May-14 10:24:08

Thanks @Fluffycloudland77 forthelink, interesting read. I also mooched around MSE and found this

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4970220&highlight=

I have just signed up smile

WonderingAllowed Tue 20-May-14 10:26:04

Yep always dread it.

I remember one particular year when we really stretched financially with 3 DC but managed to save £2k for a small holiday. We were really pleased with ourselves. Both cars needed MOT's within weeks of each other and both failed. Guess how much the total bill came to?

I always stress it about but some years I am pleasantly surprised. DH's car which is older than mine, has passed first time for a few years now. Mine only needed £120 of work this year and it is a big car.

We have found a really good independent garage who we have been going to for 8 years now. Very honest and that is why they get lots of repeat business and are always busy. Would not go near the K or the H garages or any dealership garages.

mumoffourlovelykids Tue 20-May-14 10:33:58

@Wonderingallowed i am starting to think that perhaps an independent is a more viable option....I guess you get a more friendly honest service. i am just checking the UCCC.co.uk website out and they have a few garages in my area.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 20-May-14 10:38:43

Dh is motor trade.

I wince every time you write "honest".

*dh isn't customer facing.

Supermum222 Wed 21-May-14 20:17:18

£290 bill yesterday for our Hyundai i30 :-(

Supermum222 Wed 21-May-14 20:20:07

We have 2 cars. I dread MOT day. Our 10 year old Skoda Octavia has only failed once and it was a minor thing (fantastic car, diesel and very economical). Our 5 year old Hyundai has failed this year. The guy that did the MOT said that Hyundai's are expensive for parts etc.
We hope to get another Octavia in the future. We both need a car for our jobs (unsocial hours).

mumoffourlovelykids Wed 02-Jul-14 10:51:01

Took mine to my local Unipart Car Care Garage and was pleasantly surprised with the bill, not as high as I expected. The service and mechanics I could not fault.

Xcountry Wed 02-Jul-14 11:10:26

Hell yes, The last one for the old truck was £1300 because it needed a re chassis, Current trucks last one was £600 bastard suspension and busted steering column and in October it will be brake discs and callipers, more tyres again and suspension to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now