Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

First Direct Have Turned me down for Joint Acct with DH....because I am a SAHM?

(25 Posts)
BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:32:15

I am so upset.

There is nothing adverse on my credit file apparently...I know I have been on electoral role for about 10 years.

They will not tell me what their criteria is.

I can only think its because I have said I will not be paying anything into the account as I am A SAHM, but DH pays into the account....

I feel like utter crap.

I am married to DH his wage is our wage....he is supporting me whilst I rear our baby FFS.

LegoCaltrops Sat 10-May-14 11:35:20

Do you not receive tax credits (as a family), CB, any other income that could count as your income?

I'm shocked they won't even tell you their criteria.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:39:51

Yes they go into My Account..I did wonder if I shouldn't have put something down to go into FD account...but that wouldn't have been truthful, however I could have directed them into FD account had I know I would be turned down on it.

I dont know what to do now, it was more things like break down cover I was wanting...I got stuck a while back and DH wasnt with me....so I could not get cover.

I have my own bank account...I have a visa debit card but thats it....I wonder if DH can come onto my account instead..

BIWI Sat 10-May-14 11:43:32

There's a minimum amount that you have to have going into an account to be accepted by first direct. I think it's £1500 a month. It could be this that has led to them refusing you.

vickibee Sat 10-May-14 11:44:30

i think that you need to pay in 1000 per month to qualify for their current account, not sure if that is each if joint?

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:48:57

Thanks BIWI....

Yes I suspected this but my DH surely is part of us, I am a sahm!

I feel I have been penalised then for being a SAHM.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:50:48

Does anyone know if my DH applies to come onto my bank account....will that help up grade my account or will I still be penalised for not having a set fig over a grand coming in?

thatstoast Sat 10-May-14 11:52:27

Could you just clarify what you tried to do?

Was it:

Add yourself onto your husband's existing account?
or
Applied for a new account in both names, leaving your husband's account in his name only?

Just thinking if it was the second then there'd be one account with no salary being paid into and maybe that was the issue.

Also, as a slightly unrelated point, your second post implies that you want a packaged account which has breakdown cover etc. These usually aren't good value so it might be worth looking into the benefits you would actually use and how much they would cost per month.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:55:41

Add myself to husbands existing current account.

He gets lots of benefits with his account....I don't get them even though married of course...

Sorry to sound pathetic I just feel so worthless and useless.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 11:56:22

Would it be better to apply elsewhere as a joint couple....for a fresh account

thatstoast Sat 10-May-14 14:50:45

The best thing to remember is that it's not personal. If you still wish to bank with them I would recommend that your husband writes to them, makes a complaint and advises that if they're unable to provide a joint account facility then he'll close the account. There's actually minimal risk for the bank by adding you and sometimes it's just a case of getting the right people to look at the problem. That said do be prepared to move banks if need be.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 15:10:51

Good Idea Toast, but will anywhere else take me???

Sleepytea Sat 10-May-14 15:22:05

I have a joint account with first direct even though I am a SAHM with no income. In fact I opened the account and just put DH on the phone for his part in filling out forms. Maybe it's some other issue.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 15:31:54

Really?

We were def told we could not do it over the phone...and we also had to verfiy with ID who I was ...certified ID with solicitor as its an internet bank..

Sleepytea Sat 10-May-14 16:56:17

We filled in the forms over the phone, then they sent them out to us to sign and return. I don't know if it made a difference that our reason for opening the account was to get a mortgage. However the account came first and the mortgage a couple of months later. This was 3 years ago.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 17:07:54

Is yours a current account?

They wouldnt even tell me if I could apply for other accounts....and I believe the more you apply for stuff and get rejected...the worse it becomes on credit file ( agrgghhh)...

DH has the mortgage with them....

MadameLeBean Sat 10-May-14 17:23:39

It's probably because the benefits on that account are conditional on paying a certain amount in (maybe they don't want people getting those benefits for "free" through making these accounts joint?). I have an account like this with another bank but our joint account is a basic one with no conditions. Surely you can just open a basic joint account and get your DH to transfer in there whatever joint money you need access to? Or even his whole paycheque, as long as it goes through the other account they can't really do anything about it

Rockchick1984 Sat 10-May-14 20:12:57

Who do you bank with? Unless you have adverse credit history then you would be able to get a packaged account with them so if they won't let you that implies to me there's another reason apart from your income. Have you checked your credit file?

beepingbeep Sat 10-May-14 20:21:57

I think it's disgusting how sahp are marginalised in this country.

I would appeal. Double check your credit report, their criteria & your application.

ChocolateWombat Mon 12-May-14 16:47:00

Check the application criteria. Is there a minimum payment each? If there is, youbsimplyndont meet the criteria.
It is not discrimination because you are a SAHM, those earning less than the minimum would not be accepted either.
Many banks have minimum pay in amounts these days. Usually though, even for a joint account, it is only 1 amount that needs to be paid in, not 2.

MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 16:53:08

TBH i think it's very unlikely that it was because you're sahp. Far more likely that they've had a problem verifying your identity or adverse data came up.

If they decline accounts where one party doesnt work they'd be turning away some very high earners and they're not going to do that.

Chatelaine123 Mon 12-May-14 19:10:25

Your husband needs to apply, to add you to the account.

BeyondRepair Mon 12-May-14 19:55:34

Just to update I got a very apologetic call today...saying there was a mistake due to the call person being new...she was very very nice and said I can go on the account.

Now I am worried that it was another issue that will somehow affect DH or will it bring me up?

Still not sure now, if I need to get a credit card to build up credit history or will being on this account now..build up my credit history?

so confusing!

BeyondRepair Mon 12-May-14 19:56:09

Rockchick1984

They said there was nothing adverse on my experian account.

MsVestibule Fri 16-May-14 22:51:45

I'm a SAHM and opened a joint account with my wage earning DH about 3 years ago with FD. I've since opened a sole account with them, with a small overdraft, no issues at all with that.

Why have you assumed you were 'rejected' because you're a SAHP? It could be for any number of reasons, although it is frustrating when they won't tell you what the problem is.

She says there's nothing adverse on your credit file - would it help set your mind at rest if you did a credit check yourselves?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now