Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt Number 3 : For those who feel they are drowning and want a way out

(1000 Posts)
TalkinPeace Fri 25-Apr-14 21:23:46

This thread follows on from Nerf's incredibly useful
FIRST www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/1969188-Can-we-have-a-support-thread-for-people-who-are-massively-in-debt
and then
SECOND
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2011878-Debt-support-thread-2?
threads about realising you are in and supporting each other out of debt.

I am not in debt, any more.
Here is a link to some spreadsheets that might help
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/1987219-SPREADSHEETS-for-Debt-Control-Budgeting-Mortgages-etc

and lots of people use this
YouNeedABudget

The important thing to remember is
- yesterday is as past as the Crimean War
( we will not judge how you got into debt, but we will support you on the way out )
- this is an anonymous forum
( we will not tell your employer, family or friends of the reality of your numbers )
- this thread is about supporting people through the huge mindset changes needed to come out of debt
( feel free to offload all of the feelings that drive you to want to spend, that make it hard to save and that generally make life crap at times )

Join in, bare your soul and come out the other end.
Its worth it.
You are worth it.

Mum4Fergus Fri 25-Apr-14 21:53:27

Marking my place grin

puffylovett Fri 25-Apr-14 22:44:12

Marking place! <sozzldd on FREE wine grin so hope I spelt that right>

puffylovett Fri 25-Apr-14 22:44:54

Lovely intro TiP, thanks for starting this.

WinterLover Sat 26-Apr-14 06:11:58

joining too grin

KinkyDorito Sat 26-Apr-14 06:34:03

thanks

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 17:02:10

Phew, I have found the new thread! I'd fallen off the old one and couldn't find it. Can I join again?

I posted a while ago about our problems. Dh was out of work for 10 months and we have lots of debt from previous unemployments.

Dh has just been offered a job and I'm starting to plan our finances- a little early I know, he hasn't started yet and he won't get paid til end of May.

I've been through all our expenses, estimating what I think we'll need for food and fuel and I think we'll have about £225 left over.

It's going to be a long slow haul. Our first priority will be dhs car, that has been making strange noises for months. Then I need to pay off our overdraft, as they have just doubled the charges. After that I'm going to try to pay the other debts off, one by one. We also have mortgage arrears to pay off sad sad sad

It seems impossible, but the alternative is selling the house, which we have considered and we have put it up for sale, but we won't be able to buy another due to our terrible credit rating, so would be in rented for the rest of our lives.

Sorry for rambling on. Can anyone advise the best way to plan,? I intend to put money away at the beginning of each month for all our outgoings. We have three bank accounts to juggle between, I don't want to open more.

We already shop in aldi, with top ups from Sainsburys.

I've seen YNAB mentioned, but don't want to pay for something at present. Can I just set up a spreadsheet?

Thanks smile

Mum4Fergus Sat 26-Apr-14 18:08:18

Kazza,welcome back!

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 18:45:16

Thanks smile I didn't feel I had much to contribute before with no income to start paying debt off. Hopefully now we can make a start soon.

KinkyDorito Sat 26-Apr-14 19:38:14

kazza I budget using different bank accounts - I opened a new current account and pay my food/petrol budget into that at the start of the month. There is no OD on it, so have to be careful. I then have different savings accounts for various 'envelopes' like clothes, presents, car money. By enveloping money - dividing it up for different things - it certainly makes you more aware of what you spend.

Or you could use cash and literally envelope!

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 19:42:12

Kinky, do you have the savings accounts with the same bank as your current so you can easily transfer money? I can't face opening new accounts.

moneyone Sat 26-Apr-14 19:47:07

Hello new thread grin

KinkyDorito Sat 26-Apr-14 19:53:37

I do have a couple with my current one and then a couple of others - I opened all accounts over the internet as I don't have the chance to go to banks. I got current account open online too.

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 19:57:29

Thanks Kinky, I'll look into doing that.

Nerf Sat 26-Apr-14 19:59:07

Kazza !
TIP - I love your intro. You are official best debt thread starter. I come second. ��

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 20:13:13

Hi Nerf! grin

Nerf Sat 26-Apr-14 21:08:27

Kazza!
The money one!
all here again grin

moneyone Sat 26-Apr-14 21:17:26

Home sweet home, nerf grin

TalkinPeace Sat 26-Apr-14 22:16:46

Nerf
Thread starting is rather an art because I also post on the 5:2 board and the main thread there is on numbe 43!!!

kazza
download my budget spreadsheet from the OP : it has a weekly option so you can track everything

glad y'all like

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 22:39:40

Thanks, TiP, is the spreadsheet in the original thread? Is it easy to find?

puffylovett Sat 26-Apr-14 22:42:32

Love the way you closed down the last thread too, talkinpeace

TalkinPeace Sat 26-Apr-14 22:42:40

kazza, in the OP is the link to the thread with all my spreadsheets ... and more if anybody needs

TalkinPeace Sat 26-Apr-14 22:45:40

puffy
its an interesting thing I've noticed

losing weight and losing debt are very similar
they both involve a HUGE change in mindset and acceptance that past norms were not good
and learning to tell family members uncomfortable truths

and HEY in the long run who does not want to be lean and debt free !

kazzawazzawoo Sat 26-Apr-14 22:55:16

Thanks TiP smile

pixiestix Sun 27-Apr-14 05:23:46

Just checking it. Great thread TiP!

This thread is not accepting new messages.