Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Marstons baliff

(16 Posts)
Slyng Mon 14-Apr-14 12:40:15

Please can someone help. I had an outstanding tv licence fine which I subsequently payed and had £85 letter charge (baliff fees) I had arranged to pay this but before I could i had a nasty knock on the door from a baliff I ignored the door and she posted a letter stating she now wanted the full £320 in just charges. I have offered £50 a week but they blatantly refused my offer. I am 16 weeks pregnant and am so stressed out have been bleeding. My husband got made unemployed also. I have 4 children who also live me and they were so scared at knock on the door. I have written to the courts asking them to take this back from marathons (this is what I got advised to do my the national debt helpline.) this happened 4 days ago and haven't heard anything back at all can someone help me as we're i stand with her just breaking in. Am so scared to leave the house x

Nomama Mon 14-Apr-14 15:33:24

That was a bit panicky. Is this right?

You had a TV license fine, now paid
You still had £85 bailiff fees to pay.
You arranged to pay this off but have not yet done so / kept to hat agreement.
You have had a visit and a letter stating you now owe £320.
You offered £50 week and they said no (Really? They are usually OK when it is their own fees)
Your DH is unemployed
You are pregnant and vulnerable
You have taken advice and asked the court to take this back from marathons? I didn't get that bit.

Ring the bailiffs and explain your circumstances and ask them to wait.

They can break in but do so very rarely and won't do so for that amount.

Contact them.

Slyng Mon 14-Apr-14 16:21:02

Sorry not marathon but marstons xx thanku so much but I have attempted to ring them on several different occasions and on all occasions have refused instalments. Is the warrent still in effect if the fine has been paid? X

Yes the warrant is still live.

However, you are pregnant. So this means they should not enforce this. Ring the company, they will ask you to send in proof of the pregnancy.

You will have to pay this but they can't enforce until after the baby is born.

Nomama Mon 14-Apr-14 16:57:43

Paragraph 77 says a potentially vulnerable household or person include:

The elderly and infirm
A disabled person including a person with mental health issues
The seriously ill
The recently bereaved
Single parent families
*Pregnant women
The Unemployed or anyone who is in receipt of a prescribed out of work benefits*
Anyone who has difficulty understanding or speaking English

Ring them back... tell them your Para 77 status and ask them what proofs they want... and now would they please entertain a repayment schedule.

Nomama Mon 14-Apr-14 16:58:42

www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/BailiffsVulnerableHouseholds.htm

Here's the website, it has forms and other advice....

Good luck

Slyng Mon 14-Apr-14 19:35:28

Thanku very much. I am so stressed out about this and have been trawling the Internet until the early hrs for more information xx thanku again xx

Slyng Tue 15-Apr-14 14:08:18

I have just received word from the court and they have told me that they have forwarded my letter to marstons. I am in even more of a pickle now as this seems my only hope

Nomama Tue 15-Apr-14 16:16:02

Keep breathing, don't let it panic you.

They really will not break in for that amouint of money and the court letter should help re-open negotiations.

Just keep talking to them, don't hide! I know it is hard, but they really aren't dragons and scary monsters.

Good luck.

Slyng Tue 15-Apr-14 18:26:53

Thanku again I couldn't face to ring them so I have emailed them stating the paragraph77 and my factors. I have said I can make weekly instalments and as soon as they agree I can make an immidiate payment so fingers crossed they except xx I was that desperate I nearly got out a quick loan. Thankfully my husband talked me out of it telling me they want there money so they will probably agree to instalments. Being pregnant seems to send me into a panicky paranoia about things like this xx

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 15-Apr-14 18:38:27

Hold on.

There's specific charges for specific things which are capped so you should ask them for a breakdown of these costs. A first visit costs something like £28, so you should only have a bill for this as they have not been into your house to levy your goods (this adds to the cost by £80 or something) and by what you've said they have only been to your house once, so their fees look excessive. They can't break into your house to take your goods, but they can if you've already let them in so make sure all of your windows are locked when you go out.

It would be wise for you to go and see the CAB. I'll have a look for some more info to help you but it sounds to me as though they have inflated these charges, I wouldn't enter into a discussion with them until you've sought help. You're also 'vulnerable' as you're pregnant so they shouldn't be harassing you. I'll look for some info for you.

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 15-Apr-14 18:47:24

bailiffadviceonline.co.uk this is a very useful site.

Slyng Tue 15-Apr-14 20:32:05

Hi there that site is grey thanku. The baliffs came to my door only once. I did not answer and she posted a letter saying an outstanding balance of £320. I have found out my fine was paid by marston every time I made a payment to them. And it has been paid in full. The outstanding balance for sending me one letter was £85. The baliff posted a letter and added £235 for posting a letter through my door. A very confused as to we're i stand. I just want to get this sorted so I can concentrate on being healthy whilst pregnant and being a good mum xx

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 15-Apr-14 23:00:14

There's strict guidelines as to how much they can charge and for what, so they can't just add £235 for posting a letter through your door. Pop and see the CAB and they can help you, or give the number on the web site a call and someone will be able to help. If you've already paid the debt they shouldn't be pushing bills through your door. Don't make any arrangements to pay until they justify what the charges are for.

The law changed on April 6th lady

everyone is now charged £235 for a first visit.

Slyng Wed 07-May-14 08:19:50

update received an email and a phone call from magistrates they seem to believe that marstons will rend the warrent back to them. They forwarded my letter. Marstons emailed me and asked for proof of the difficulties I have been having in my pregnancy. (Bleeding) they have now been sent a letter from the midwifery sister stating I have been seen for a history of bleeding in my pregnancy an appointment card from the early pregnancy unit stating appointment was for bleeding. A scan detail that states reason for scan was bleeding and also a letter from my midwife to say I a still currently pregnant and being treated at my local hospital xx fingers crossed this is enough. What does everyone think opinions are reassuring for me many thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now