Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Good bank accounts for DC with a cashcard?

(13 Posts)
chicaguapa Tue 25-Feb-14 13:59:37

DC (12 & 9) have savings accounts with Halifax but there isn't a branch nearby so paying in their birthday cheques is a pain.

Can you recommend somewhere that will give them cashpoint access to their money? Then I can check if there's a branch in our town. DD isn't the problem but I need somewhere that will give DS(9) a card too.

I've had a look on MSE but that just talks about the ones with the best rates. The interest rate isn't as important as convenience as at the moment I still have cheques from October that aren't earning any interest anyway. blush

Thanks.

I dont think any will give a card to a 9 year old

archfiend Tue 25-Feb-14 14:02:40

My dd has an account with nationwide which has been good. She currently has a book, but will be able to switch to a card when she is 11. I am not sure there are many accounts that will allow a card below that age unfortunately.

all the accounts I have seen for children offer a cash card at age 11

chicaguapa Tue 25-Feb-14 14:12:27

DS does have a card with his Halifax account. It's just paying in the cheques which is a pain.

I do ask for them to be in my name and then I can pay them into my account and transfer the money into their accounts online, but not everyone takes notice. Maybe they think I'm going to spend DC's birthday money on myself. wink

Barclays and hsbc both do accounts with a card for children but I'm not sure what age from.

Vickiyumyum Tue 25-Feb-14 14:19:05

Natwest ds has had a debit card since he was 13 (now 16) but only recently been using it as a debit card.

OldBeanbagz Tue 25-Feb-14 14:20:41

HSBC issue debit cards to over 11s only. Just been looking at the account for my own DD.

I don't know any bank that would give them one under this age.

Both mine have santander account, seems to work fine. Im not sure about your youngest i think you need to be 11 for a card. could you not just open him a savings account and them give him what cash he needs or open yourself a basic account and give him the card. I asked everyone to make cheques payable to me until the kids were older.

you can pay in cheques to Halifax via the post office btw

specialsubject Tue 25-Feb-14 16:01:16

if you aren't bothered about interest rates, just pick the nearest bank.

however kids can get up to 6%. Still pitiful, but something.

tobymum Wed 26-Feb-14 17:01:33

My ds has hd a goHenry Visa cash card since he was 8. He can use it like a debit card but I control how much he can spend and where he can spend it. It's basically a debit card so I have to put money in his account before he can spend it, and I can reward him for chores. The downside is no interest, but it's basically for pocket money, not savings. It's a bit of independence for him but I can log on and see what he's been spending on (or even block his card if he's been naughty. There is a monthly charge of £1 something, but it's worth it.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 26-Feb-14 19:51:47

Halifax does a cash card from 7, the parent can choose to change this to a debit card at 13. Certain cash points will allow only£5 to be withdrawn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now