Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Am I wrong to feel so ripped off by BUTLINS ??

(48 Posts)
Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 15:57:33

For the first time ever I have booked a family holiday at Easter at Butlins. We are having a tough time financially at the mo (aren't we all?) and I was desperate for us to have a break together (me, DH and 2 x DS) A friend had recommended Butlins and I booked it a couple of months ago on one of their super cheap/amazing/bargain of the year special weekends. I booked the cheapest possible chalet (standard) with absolutely zero frills and apparently had squillions of pounds off as it was a very special offer. I finally paid it off today, was looking around their website and they had more 'offers' on. Surprise, surprise - they are now selling a 'Silver' room - that is the next level up of accommodation, for cheaper than I paid on the Super special weekend for the lowest of the low room :-( I feel so done over.

SapphireMoon Tue 18-Feb-14 16:02:58

Is there anyway you can swap to silver?
No idea if allowed.
I would be fed up too [happened to me on flight prices. Had to pretend I hadn't seen to cope!].

Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 16:18:16

Been on hold to them for over 20 minutes so far to find out what options if any ... throughout they keep advertising how Mumsnet recommend them! Costing me a fortune to ring their 0845 number from my Sky phone. (How are companies allowed to do this as well??!!)

Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 16:20:11

.. I was so sure that it was 'Best Price Guaranteed" .. apparently not ...

Bowlersarm Tue 18-Feb-14 16:21:57

That's the nature of booking a holiday though. Prices can go up or down according to demand.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:24

I agree that it's just the nature of holiday booking. It's always a gamble. Hopefully they'll be kind and swap your accommodation without charging you an admin fee.

Bubblegoose Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:24

Can you at least find a geographical number on which to call them?

Preciousbane Tue 18-Feb-14 16:24:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bananananacoconuts Tue 18-Feb-14 16:28:29

01754614488 is the number for Skeggy if you're heading there

AbbyLou Tue 18-Feb-14 16:34:11

Make sure you are comparing like for like. You say you have booked a standard chalet and the silver offer is for a room. They are very different. A chalet has a lounge and dining area, kitchen area, seperate bathroom and seperate bedrooms. A room is just that, although sometimes it is two rooms together. They have no cooking facilities, no lounge area or place to sit and nowhere to eat.

Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 16:38:15

@Banana Minehead Butlins but thanks V much for help. @Precious, it doesn't come up with any numbers when I do it but thanks for trying!

After an age on hold I got a really unhelpful girl who basically told me the same. I thought they honoured the "best price" apparently they do - but only if you book it direct through their customer services. Oh well, you learn something new every day. They are advertising how Mumsnet think they are fab/wonderful/recommended all over the hold music. At least I've raised a bit of awareness on here so maybe someone won't be as naive as me when booking with them. Bizarrely the "silver" room although nicer in general only has a shower as opposed to a bath, so maybe we're better of with a 2 year old to have a bath anyway.

Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 16:39:23

@Abbey it was a standard room (this is a double and twin arrangement) and a silver room with the same layout.

Fatone Tue 18-Feb-14 16:40:46

Probably spent about a tenner on 31 minutes on the phone to them. Is it too early for wine ?

Bubblegoose Tue 18-Feb-14 16:56:18

Have you tried this number: 01643 700514

Listed on saynoto0870 as minehead customer services.

ButlinsResorts Wed 19-Feb-14 09:18:51

Hey Fatone, really sorry about this! We'd really like the opportunity to look into this for you.

If you send me an email to butlins.socmed@bourne-leisure.co.uk with your booking reference number and your details we'll take a look at your booking and see what's happened!

Thanks, James
Butlins Marketing

Fatone Thu 20-Feb-14 10:09:48

Hi,

Thanks for the message James I have now been given 1 all action pass (value about £10?) as a goodwill gesture. Given that there are 5 children in total in our group (we have 2 cabins booked together) they may get about 1 activity each! Should be fun watching them fight over that. Ringing the phone number and being on hold for so long has almost certainly cost me more than the cost of the action pass, and it hasn't changed how we all feel about Butlins. I understand that supply and demand dictates the prices you charge, I just wrongly thought we had a best price guarantee when we booked it. Anyway, you live and learn.

Thanks anyway.

SapphireMoon Thu 20-Feb-14 10:36:26

Did James sort you out though Fatone?
It did seem from his message he wanted to help.

Nerfmother Thu 20-Feb-14 10:41:01

I don't understand the problem.
You booked a standard room at an 'offer' price. Now there is a silver room on offer. That's just how stuff works. You could have held off booking to see what last minute deals there were, but didn't, so you have the dates you wanted.

Coconutty Thu 20-Feb-14 10:41:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

K8Middleton Thu 20-Feb-14 10:46:51

Err, she's has an offer on here to help but hasn't taken it up. How is that Butlins' fault?

Email James op.

bakingaddict Thu 20-Feb-14 10:48:34

What is the cancellation policy? Are you able to cancel the standard room and then re-book the silver one without losing your deposit and still getting the dates you want

notso Thu 20-Feb-14 10:52:33

Why are you not emailing James?

Fatone Fri 21-Feb-14 16:53:07

Hi all, I did actually PM James but had nothing back which is why a posted a reply to him on here.

Lulabellarama Fri 21-Feb-14 16:57:27

But he told you to email him and gave the address

Fatone Fri 21-Feb-14 16:59:32

nerf The problem was we were lead to believe that Butlins price matched - that has been confirmed now - but only if you book at the venue rather than through their website.

Also when we booked it was a "massive sale/never to be beaten/limited special offer/One off weekend blah blah" (I may have some of the words a bit wrong here but I am paraphrasing from what we remember) and we again thought that meant that we were buying at a special price that wouldn't be beaten.

I fully understand that prices go up as well as down - I just found their advertising misleading and I object to spending a fortune being on hold to these companies before you have even spoken to anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now