Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Income Support while on SMP??

(6 Posts)
Poshers Sat 08-Feb-14 18:59:02

Can you claim income support whilst on SMP - Mat Leave?

I am a lone parent with no support from the Father.

Thanks!!

This is going back years (11!) but I could only claim income support during my unpaid mat leave entitlement - which I didn't, I chose to go back to work when my son was 10 weeks old as it seemed like such a faff on... If you do get it, they will only 'top up' your SMP payment until it reaches the same amount of IS - what are you getting in the way of tax credits/child tax credits - have you rang up and sorted this out? That may effect any IS claim you make, as well as being entitled to any form of child tax credit?

It might be worth popping down to your local CAB, who may be able to tell you further.

Also, get onto that child's father, he has a moral and financial obligation to help support what he helped create.

Also, have you sorted out your child benefit? Are you entitle to any housing benefit/council tax benefit? Get those sorted too, if you haven't already..

crashbangboom Sat 08-Feb-14 20:03:45

Yes you can for the first month when you stop work before you actually receive SMP. After that it is likely SMP will exceed the amount of IS payable.

Poshers Sat 08-Feb-14 21:02:25

Ok - great advice thank you all smile just stresses me out to hell!

Wow - going back to work when baby was 10 Weeks old

crashbangboom Sat 08-Feb-14 21:05:42

Op its stressful. What date in month are you planning on going off? Try and make it as close to the date after payday and you should get a fulls income support and housing benefit. Helps the transition

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now